Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restoring calendar from backup without Time Machine

Hello. For reasons beyond my control, my old hard drive, which had Mavericks on it, had to be replaced by one with Snow Leopard, and the old hard drive copied onto a backup hard drive.

I have reinstalled Mavericks on the new drive and am slowly restoring everything from the old hard drive.

I currently cannot find any sign of the files for my calendar, and therefore cannot restore it onto the new drive.

Please note: this is NOT backed up on Time Machine. It's just a backup on an external USB drive.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 1:23 PM

The Calendar's local files are stored in the /Home/Library/Calendars/ folder. You need to copy it to the same location on the new drive. If the /Home/Library/ folder is not visible:

Exposing the /Home/Library/ Folder

Pick one of the following methods:

A. This method will make the folder visible permanently. Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder and paste the following at the command prompt:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press RETURN.

B. Click on the Desktop, press the OPTION (⌥) button, select Library from the Finder's Go menu.

C. Select Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu. Paste the following in the path field:

~/Library

Press the Go button.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 18, 2015 1:23 PM in response to Tim Whelan2

The Calendar's local files are stored in the /Home/Library/Calendars/ folder. You need to copy it to the same location on the new drive. If the /Home/Library/ folder is not visible:

Exposing the /Home/Library/ Folder

Pick one of the following methods:

A. This method will make the folder visible permanently. Open the Terminal application in your Utilities folder and paste the following at the command prompt:

chflags nohidden ~/Library

Press RETURN.

B. Click on the Desktop, press the OPTION (⌥) button, select Library from the Finder's Go menu.

C. Select Go To Folder from the Finder's Go menu. Paste the following in the path field:

~/Library

Press the Go button.

Aug 29, 2015 6:35 AM in response to Kappy

My problem is that the Home/Library folder is not visible in the backup, only the root Library. I assume this is something to do with Apple hiding the home library so that it has to be revealed in Go/Recent Folders. The backup is simply a clone of the previous hard drive (OS10.9.5) so it all has to be there somewhere but I can't see how to make it visible.

Aug 30, 2015 3:09 PM in response to Tim Whelan2

You can do this from those three:

chflags nohidden

Press RETURN.

You need to change the path to the folder by placing a space at the end of the above line and dragging the /backup_drive/Users/user-name/Library/ folder into the Terminal window.

Sep 10, 2015 10:46 AM in response to Tim Whelan2

I found someone at Apple who could help me. If anyone else has this problem, for their information the solution is the following terminal command:

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

which reveals all the hidden files on your machine and hard drives

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE

to hide them again

Restoring calendar from backup without Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.