Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I manage hundreds of video clips on Mac

I have hundreds of little videos of ballroom dance school figures and dance routine fragments. I had them in folders in iPhoto, then moved them to iTunes so I could view them on Apple TV. But I can't organize them into folders in iTunes. I tried organizing them simply by using a naming convention but with hundreds of clips that is unwieldy. I started looking into iMovie, but what little documentation there is assumes that you want to assemble clips into movies. I do not want to do that. I want the little videos (10-60 seconds each) to be organized so I can retrieve them by dance type (Waltz, Foxtrot, ChaCha, etc.), level (silver, bronze, gold), source (DVIDA, Fred Astaire, Arthur Murray, teacher name), and by pattern number. Is there an app that I can use that way? I want to be able to store them in organized fashion, view them on the Mac, on Apple TV (possibly with AirPlay) , and preferably also copy them onto an iPad in the same organization. I need to be able to view them without any internet connection. No iCloud, DropBox, or such. Need to store them locally on my MacBook and my iPad. Is there any app that will help with this?

An example of one of the unwieldy file names using my naming convention is: cc-ASBR-06SwivelAndHooks. This is cc for ChaCha, AS for Astaire, BR for bronze, 06 for pattern number 6 in the Astaire Bronze sequence, and SwivelAndHooks for the name of the school figure. It would be so much easier to have a file folder structure, keep a file in multiple folders (aka playlists).

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5), from November 2010

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 2:41 PM

1 reply

Aug 20, 2015 2:49 PM in response to Sandy_Campbell

I'm a huge fan of Adobe Lightroom.

It is a visual database - tilted toward still images - but deals with video very well. You simply attach keywords to each file. Those keywords allow you to sort and filter in endless ways.

It does not interface with Apple TV directly.

To keep movies in iTunes organized, I create genres then sort by them.

Create your topology (Highest to lowest determining criteria) then attach those attributes to each clip.

For example - Motor Sports> Motorcycles> MotoGP> 2015> Bruno

Hope this helps.

x

How can I manage hundreds of video clips on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.