Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combining Apple IDs or emails for iMessages

My Apple ID is xxx@me.com. I wanted to add my primary personal and work emails to iMessages. I added my work email address, I received a verify request, I got it added no problem.

My primary personal email is xxx@gmail.com. When I went to add my Gmail address, I never got the verify email. I went to https://appleid.apple.com to investigate and saw that my wife's email was listed as the primary email address. I tried to replace it with xxx@gmail.com received a message that said:

This email address is designated as your rescue email address and cannot be used as your Apple ID or Primary email address. Please choose another.

I scrolled down to alternate email address and didn't see my Gmail address there. When I tried to add it, the message I received said:

This email address is already in use as an Apple ID.

Apparently, I must have setup my Gmail email as an Apple ID at some point years ago as I was fumbling through iTunes. Is there anyway to undo my gmail Apple ID or get my gmail address?

Thanks!

iPhone 3GS, Mac OS X (10.6.3)

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 3:20 PM

1 reply

Combining Apple IDs or emails for iMessages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.