Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I add a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt port to a 2010 Mac Pro?

And if it's not possible to add a port can I use an adaptor so I can connect USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt drives? I currently only have firewire 800 and USB 2.0 ports.

Thanks!

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 5:40 PM

5 replies

Aug 19, 2015 7:48 AM in response to afriskney

RE: ThunderBolt

Although others have said it already, I wanted to emphasize that you can NOT use ThunderBolt on that Mac.

To use ThunderBolt devices, a computer must have left the factory with ThunderBolt Hardware on board, except for one or two PCs that are ThunderBolt-ready, but the card was made optional to reduce the base price.

There are no add-on adapters possible without custom chips, and Intel (who controls the standard and makes the required chips) has said they do not want to have any available.

Aug 19, 2015 8:38 AM in response to afriskney

Some things to consider:

Drives connected to the USB 3 card will not be bootable. But fine for nice, big backup drives.

Not all USB 3 devices are reported to work attached to USB 3 cards. I have only tried hard drives, and they do work except for the booting limitation.

The Inateck card requires 10.8.2 or later. If you have earlier OSes installed, check specs carefully.

CalDigit makes a combo USB3/eSATA card. The current version of it requires 10.8.2 or later. I have the first-gen CalDigit card that works with 10.5. through Yosemite. The CalDigit Yosemite driver is not even a little bit compatible with the El Capitan beta.

Can I add a USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt port to a 2010 Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.