Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set iPad so can download free app without passcode

Set my ipad to down load free apps with out password but every time i try itunes still wants me to sign in even for free stuff. How can i fix it so that my daughter can down load free game with out pass word. I have set it to not allow in app purchases but i also set it to allow free stuff. what am i doing wrong.

iPad Air Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 18, 2015 3:35 PM

6 replies

Aug 18, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Ourdream

I Don't know if this will work for you. I somehow triggered the setting that made me enter my password every time and then I somehow disabled it and I really don't know what I did to change it. But try this.

Go to Settings>iTunes & App Store>Password Settings. Try unchecking the password setting there.

Aug 18, 2015 4:14 PM in response to Demo

Go to Settings>iTunes & App Store>Password Settings. Try unchecking the password setting there.Demo, in my iPad Air (not a 2) it does not show that setting.

Demo, on my iPad Air (not a 2) it does not show that setting for some reason. In Settings > iTunes.... I see my Apple ID but no Password Settings. Under it, it says "Manage your PW settings in Restrictions....". In Settings > General > Restrictions (after the code) I can see the Allowed. Perhaps our devices are different, but same iOS ?? 8.4.1 (12H321) ?. I have All Settings set to Green under Allow.

For the OP, I would recommend that All be allowed except In-App Purchases. Then look down under Allowed Content. Click on Apps and check the age ratings. Then check Password Settings > Require Password > Turn it OFF. This last setting may well be the reason.

Hope this helps...

Aug 18, 2015 4:30 PM in response to Ourdream

Ourdream, in case I "successfully" managed to mucky muck all above, here are my recommendations:

Go to General > Restrictions (enter your Passcode). Make sure you have Installing Apps on Green. Your choice about In-App Purchases but I would set it to green even for your daughter as I'll explain below. Then go to Allowed Content below. Check under Apps and allow ages as you wish (All ??). The go back and check under Password Settings. Uncheck the last setting Require Password under Free Downloads. < I think that is the key. Then go up and under Purchases and In-App Purchases, select Always Require. With this last setting your daughter will not be able to purchase anything even if you have In-Apps allowed on the previous screen.

🙂

Aug 18, 2015 6:07 PM in response to elcpu

elcpu wrote:

Go to Settings>iTunes & App Store>Password Settings. Try unchecking the password setting there.Demo, in my iPad Air (not a 2) it does not show that setting.

Demo, on my iPad Air (not a 2) it does not show that setting for some reason. In Settings > iTunes.... I see my Apple ID but no Password Settings. Under it, it says "Manage your PW settings in Restrictions....". In Settings > General > Restrictions (after the code) I can see the Allowed. Perhaps our devices are different, but same iOS ?? 8.4.1 (12H321) ?. I have All Settings set to Green under Allow.

You are using restrictions. I am not using Restrictions on either of my iPads and that's why can I control the password settings in the iTunes and App Store settings. I see the same thing on my iPad 3 running iOS 8.4 and on my iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.4.1. If I enable restrictions then I see the same thing that you see on your device.

How to set iPad so can download free app without passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.