Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to update apps after iOS 8.4.1 upgrade

Hi guys,

Ever since I downloaded the latest iOS update, I can't update my apps. I get a message that says my account isn't valid for use in the U.S. store and that I must switch to the German store before purchasing. But the app store on my phone already is the German store.

When I click the "change store" option, nothing happens.

I've never had this problem before, only since this newest update. I updated the few apps I do have on the American store on my computer and then synced my phone, but still can't update my German apps from my phone and don't want to switch countries on iTunes.

Thanks!

iPhone 5, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 2:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 2:25 AM

Try these steps:

1. Restart your device.
  2. Sign out and back in to your account.
  3. Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on it.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2015 2:25 AM in response to Amiexpat

Try these steps:

1. Restart your device.
  2. Sign out and back in to your account.
  3. Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on it.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

Aug 27, 2015 1:05 AM in response to Amiexpat

It also happens to me. Actually restarting the phone temporally solves this but after some time it happens again. It happened to me that the phone recovered itself, but after a while went back to an unstable state where I can't update or download new applications.

When this happens, I can't use Apple Music in my phone neither. I have reset the phone completely, but this didn't solved anything.

When this is happening in the app store update menu shows inconsistent/incoherent information. Instead of showing update/open in the right side for pending updates/ already updates application, it shows UPDATE for those to be updated (although they never get updated) and already updated applications shows blank (no text at all) or DOWNLOAD, although they are already in my phone and I can open them.

This also happened in my iPad, but somehow recovered itself and didn't fail anymore.

iOS 8.4.1 is very broken. I hope iOS 9 solves all this. Otherwise I will really cancel the Apple Music subscription and will continue using Spotify, which is much more stable.

Aug 31, 2015 9:05 AM in response to keridito

I had this exact same problem, everything was just like you're describing. The apple store gave me two different phones and nothing worked. I finally seem to have got it working again by do this. If its the same thing it may fix yours as well.

1-hard reset phone so you can access settings

2-turn off iCloud music library, not sure why but this seemed to be the culprit

3-hard reset again

4-sign out of app store

5-hard reset again

6-sign into app store

at this point everything seemed to be working fine again no overheating no battery issues and all normal phone functions worked as expected. The app store resumed updates and downloads fine.

I waited a few days and turned iCloud music library on again to see if the problems started up and so far everything is fine, Its been a few days and nothing has started to act up again.

Previously I had tried reseting settings, restores form iTunes/icloud ,2 different phones set up as new and nothing worked. The problem seemed to have something to do with my Apple id and iCloud settings after the 8.4.1 update. Hopefully this will help someone out.

Sep 15, 2015 2:45 PM in response to D.Cohen

These suggestions didn't help me, but I found a weird work-around. I noticed that the buttons would briefly say "Update" and then switch to "Open" when I opened Updates in the App Store. So I pressed one of the app's Open button to open the app, I double-pressed the home button, I selected the App Store, and then quickly pressed one of the Update buttons as soon as it entered the App Store. The app updated and the other buttons stayed as "Update" until I left the App Store. Unfortunately, the other buttons reverted back to "Open" the next time I went it, but at least I know I can update apps without too much hassle now.

To summarize:

1. Open Updates in the App Store
  2. Press one of the app's open buttons and enter that app
  3. Double-click the home button
  4. Select the App Store
  5. Quickly press one of the Update buttons before the buttons switch to Open

unable to update apps after iOS 8.4.1 upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.