Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive won't load Files/Folders

I recently bought a Transcend StoreJet 25H3, my format is MS-DOS (FAT32), this should allow for use on both Mac and Windows. I need it to work on both Mac and Windows. When I attempt to transfer any file to the hard drive the following comes up; "The operation can’t be completed because the item ‘***’ is in use." I also struggle to eject the hard drive, the message displayed is "The disk 'StoreJet 25H3' wasn't ejected because one or more programs may be using it."

Transcend StoreJet 25H3 Hard Drive specs;

• Op. Voltage; USB DC 5V
  • Storage Media 2.5" SATA HDD

I have downloaded the following;

• Transcend Elite Windows / Mac OS v2.10 / v1.7
  • RecoveRx Windows / Mac OS v3.0 / v2.2
  • Transcend Elite Windows / Mac OS v2.10 / v1.7

I can create folders on the hard drive.The hard drive has nothing on it as yet. Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

I have a

• OS X Yosemite (10.10.3),
  • Processor3,4 GHz Intel Core i5,
  • Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3,
  • Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB.
  • Processor Speed: 3,4 GHz

The hard drive has nothing on it as yet.

Does anyone know how to solve this issue?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 6:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 12:43 PM

I'd remove anything that you have added into OS X to access the drive, and try again. Failing that, then reformat the entire disk as FAT32 using Disk Utility, and try again. Failing that, I'd return the drive for replacement or refund.

3 replies

Sep 1, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Silence136

FAT — all versions — is a very primitive and IMNSHO messy file system, and there are patents and licenses involved with it.

I prefer to use it minimally, and only where I need it.

There's also whether the particular host system understands the particular partitioning or not; MBR has primitive four-partition partitioning support incorporated into the Master Boot Record block, while many newer systems expect GPT partitioning and then some other file system within the partitions. It's entirely possible to have GPT partitioning with MBR subpartitions, and it's also possible that the host device will have no idea what to do with this.

It's quite possible that a particular host doesn't support FAT32 — which is really FAT28, just to keep things confusing — and is limited to FAT16 or some other FAT implementation, too.

As for your (new) TV question, I'd suggest posting some details of the TV model and the specifics of the drive format and partitioning into a new thread, with a title that might attract the attention of folks using Samsung TVs — presumably some sort of smart TV — for this sort of thing. Resolving these cases will usually then involve reading the specs for the particular model of host — your TV, in this case — and mapping those to the particular storage device and its format.

Hard Drive won't load Files/Folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.