Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iTunes (12.2.2...) Won't Install Says .msi file is not valid

Downloaded new iTunes version to Dell laptop with Windows 10 but it won't install I keep getting a message that says it can't find the iTunes6464.msi file.

When I select browse and point to it it then says the file is NOT a valid install file.

Other OS, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 7:24 AM

24 replies

Aug 20, 2015 9:41 AM in response to Maxfli58

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with QuickTime or third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are also links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

If the issue persists and you have a 64-bit system try the for older video cards version which is a 64-bit installer for mostly 32-bit code, similar to all 64-bit versions of iTunes up to 12.1.

tt2

Aug 24, 2015 11:41 AM in response to Maxfli58

See the notes to the second box. Uninstall what will uninstall, then proceed to the named folder deletions, reboot and try installing.

Alternatively, if you still get that message when attempting to install then there may be a registry key that needs removing. I found references to the itunes6464.msi at:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\477BAEFBCD7C23040BA5ADF5C77B3B56\SourceList and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\477BAEFBCD7C23040BA5ADF5C 77B3B56\SourceList

I suspect deleting the branches:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\477BAEFBCD7C23040BA5ADF5C77B3B56 and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\477BAEFBCD7C23040BA5ADF5C 77B3B56

would resolve the cannot locate .msi issue.

It might be helpful if you would post the full text of the error message and confirm which version of iTunes you are trying to install.

tt2

Aug 25, 2015 12:45 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi TT2 - looks as though you've been a great help to others - great work 🙂

I'm having the same problem with iTunes 12.2.2 and Windows 10. I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 7 and my problem happens when trying to update iTunes - at least it was. When trying to update, when the process began to remove the old version I get the same message as others asking for teh location of iTunes6464.MSI.

So, following your really useful guide I've tried to remove everything and have managed to do so except iTunes itself (still shows in the Programs and Features menu) as it always shows the same MSI error message.

Having removed everything I can now no longer do a fresh install of iTunes due to the old one still lying around and still encountering the iTunes6464.MSI error message, again when the process appears to be removing "old versions"

So now I'm stumped in that I don't have iTunes at all and of course all of my music and films are streamed around the house using iTunes!!

I've tried unzipping teh installer and saving the MSI file in all sorts of locations but to no avail.

ANy thoughts?

TIA

Aug 25, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Markusbennitus

It's normally possible to uninstall the components that will uninstall, ignore the ones that won't, then perform the named folder removals, reboot, and reinstall.

Alternatively, if you still get that message when attempting to install then there may be a registry key that needs removing. I found references to the file at:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\477BAEFBCD7C23040BA5ADF5C77B3B56\SourceList and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\477BAEFBCD7C23040BA5ADF5C 77B3B56\SourceList

I suspect deleting the branch:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\477BAEFBCD7C23040BA5ADF5C 77B3B56

should resolve the cannot locate .msi issue. The first instance should be a mirror of the second so only one should need to be deleted.

Of course it is possible that with a different builds the key has a slightly different path so you may need to search. Also ignore the spaces formed because the forum software breaks up any string over 80 characters that doesn't have a space in it.

tt2

Aug 26, 2015 3:09 AM in response to king_d418

The trick is not to find it, but remove the reference to it in the registry.

Press WinLogoKey+R, type Regedit in the Run dialog and press Enter/Return.

Click Edit > Find, type in itunes6464.msi (or the name of the problem .msi if different), change the Look at boxes so that only Data is ticked, then click Find Next.

You should find it somewhere like:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Installer\Products\{Long string of letters & numbers}\SourceList

Right-click on the immediate parent key with the long string of letters & numbers that contains the SourceList with the reference to the .msi file and click Delete from the context menu. This should stop the Windows Installer from looking for the .msi when you reinstall iTunes.

tt2

New iTunes (12.2.2...) Won't Install Says .msi file is not valid

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.