Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can My iBook G4 Run Panther?

Hi! I've got an iBook G4, came running Tiger, but I upgraded it to Leopard. I would like to run Panther on it. I've seen iBook G4's running Panther, but sense mine came with Tiger, I don't know if it runs Panther or not. Before I buy a Panther retail copy, could someone please tell me if it will work with my iBook G4? PowerBook6,7 is model identifier. Please help,

HFTaylor12

iBook, Mac OS X (10.5), G4

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 10:02 AM

8 replies

Aug 19, 2015 5:05 PM in response to HFTaylor12

Driver software for Bluetooth and other aspects of later hardware built into

the last iBook G4 models would make it unlikely you'd be able to use OS X

10.3.9 in that 2005/2006 G4. On the other hand, if you had a first edition

May 2001 iBook G3 white dualUSB, it would be able to run 10.3.9; mine did.

The MacTracker.ca database, and everymac, both show the different hardware

items that would be unlikely to find suitable software to support using older 10.3.

And for the last iBook G4 models, Tiger 10.4.11 is superior to Leopard 10.5.8.

{There is a chance if you happen to have a grey-label iBook G4 2004 install DVD

set, from the model just prior to the 6.7 build (6.5) of the same display, (12" vs 14)

you may be able to get the computer to start from the original 10.3.x system if it

were already installed on a hard drive. But the graphics and bluetooth, among other

items, would not have correct drivers or support. Incorrect drivers may affect the

computer's hardware adversely.}

Tiger at least allows use of Classic apps in non-dual boot hardware of last iBook G4s. 😐

Aug 19, 2015 5:11 PM in response to K Shaffer

Thanks for replying. So, are you saying that without gray discs from an older iBook G4, mine can't run Panther? Your answer wasn't very clear, but somewhat helpful. If my iBook can't run Panther, would it run it if I messed around with Open Firmware and changed the model identifier and other things to make my computer seem older to the software? I know that an older iBook G4 was able to boot Mac OS 9 with some ROM file changes and some Open Firmware codes. Maybe something like that could be done to run Panther?

Aug 19, 2015 6:08 PM in response to HFTaylor12

What I was suggesting, was an installation of the OS X from an older iBook G4 that could run

10.3.9, on an external HDD, may be able to boot a later iBook G4 that did not ship with it.

Could be the newer iBook may limp along or the graphics & display may fail to work correctly.

In part due to lack of driver support for the later hardware; unless some other Mac that also

could run Panther 10.3 required other drivers, and if so, they may kind of work. But the install

DVD would be rejected by the newer iBook G4, of course. You could probably work-around for

the installer; as mentioned. A supported computer that can run Panther could install a system

on the HDD, target disk mode may be used to install a system to the newer iBook from an older

computer, then later see if it can start up from it. Or try Pacifist utility to extract/install a system(?)

However the lack of drivers for the later version graphic processor and later version bluetooth

wireless module, (and other wi-fi, built in) would likely be a problem no matter which source

or method of trying to run the newer (last iBook G4 12" or 14") and may cause damages.

One of my Apple portables is a last model 12-inch 2005 iBook G4 1.33GHz, similar to the

14-inch 1.42GHz in that the hardware differs significantly from the previous iBook (powerbook

6.5) G4 and while an already installed iBook G4 version of Panther 10.3.9 may be able to run

the newer iBook G4 which shipped with Tiger 10.4.x, you probably would not be able to use

an install DVD from the older iBook to do it. And there could be a problem with the drivers and

resulting glitches from incorrect ones, especially graphic processor and bluetooth 2.0.

A precautionary, a good condition late 2005 iBook G4 1.33/1.42 is probably worth more than the

older iBook 1.2/1.33 from 2003/2004 that was set up to run Leopard & shipped with it on DVD.

Anyway, since you prefer to experiment somewhat, good luck and have fun! 🙂

Aug 26, 2015 1:07 PM in response to K Shaffer

The Powerbook 6,7 iBook G4 was released July 26, 2005.

At that time, 10.4.2 had already been released for system specific iBook G4 discs.

That means that for built-in DVD and external DVD Firewire installations, that Mac could only take the system specific iBook G4 10.4.2 installer, or the 10.4.3 retail, or 10.4.6 retail, but no 10.3 retail or system specific disc, and no 10.4.0 (labelled just 10.4) disc.

Sometimes you can bypass that using an older iBook and Firewire Target Disk Mode. Note the "Target" machine, the one you hold the "T" key at startup essentially becomes a very expensive external hard drive with no knowledge of its built-in CPU, thus allowing you to bypass that machine's system specific CPU instructions. Same with the onboard DVD drive, which you can use, if the other iBook has a failing DVD drive or only a CD drive. The only necessity is that both iBooks have Firewire. Firewire 400 and Firewire 400-800 cables are available at http://www.macsales.com/

Use Everymac.com and Wikipedia guide for each Mac OS X version to determine what version of Mac OS X was available at the time of release of the specific series of iBook G4.

Aug 26, 2015 4:20 PM in response to a brody

While I am aware of your point, and own the same iBook G4 model in question,

some users of certain models of PPC Mac had been able to run a newer model

from an already installed OS X version from the same series of Mac, just not

install from the older as-shipped grey discs. Since the issue with the OP and

a desire to try other OS X versions than were originally available from Apple in

it, this topic has morphed across several discussions, + different OS X versions.

It is possible to use certain grey-label OS X machine specific installers in totally

different same processor series (PPC in this case, as I've done it) to have a

workable system. Notably I was able to use an eMac 10.3.x grey install DVD set

to install directly a Panther system into an iBook G3 dual-USB (May2001) build.

And it worked directly and without issue. The Combo update helped bring the

system up to the iBook G3 (white, first model) level. It also dual-booted MacOS9.

I've done several decades of experimentation and testing, sometimes in isolation

and without access to retail or wholesale replacement software; & without internet.

But I don't do that kind of thing all that much; and relatively recent is my Intel-mac

experience; a new-old-stock Late 2012 Mini i7 Quad this past December 2014, &

a used MacBook1.1 13-inch 1.83GHz coreduo that required some repair, two years

ago. Daily users are still G4 Mini 1.5GHz and occasional MacBook (OS X10.5.8.)

Some 360+ Apple Macintosh computers later, I'm not all that interested in computing

and certainly not in collecting devices that need to communicate with each other...!

My guess is you've inadvertently aimed the above reply to me by accident. 😐

Aug 29, 2015 2:36 AM in response to Ronda Wilson

This member has experimented with installing different systems on various hardware;

some methods more successful than others. For various reasons, most unspecified.

One of the other ways involves testing to see if a system installed or cloned from one

computer will run in another; so avoiding the lack of official installer in the process.

However missing drivers for specific newer hardware and firmware that won't upgrade

can be definite blocks to proceeding that direction. Most of those limits are built-in...! 😝

Can My iBook G4 Run Panther?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.