Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't see Photos Library in iDVD

In the app IDVD when I click on Photos it shows iPhoto not the new Photos app. I have already switched the System Library in the Photos preferences. I can see the new Photos library in other applications like iMovie. I have tried to click and drag items from the Photos Library to iDVD and it will not allow it.

Does anyone there is a chance Apple will once again support iDVD?

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 12:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 2:12 PM

There're a better chance of a snowball surviving than Apple reviving iDVD.

We no have to export photos and video/movie files to somewhere on the hard drive and import them from there into iDVD.

However, you can still use iPhoto with Yosemite if you previously had some version of iPhoto 9.x (11) installed. Follow the directions posted by Tererence Devlin in this post:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If iPhoto 9.6.1 is there, close the App Store, drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash and then go back to the App Store.

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

User uploaded file

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2015 2:12 PM in response to tex6

There're a better chance of a snowball surviving than Apple reviving iDVD.

We no have to export photos and video/movie files to somewhere on the hard drive and import them from there into iDVD.

However, you can still use iPhoto with Yosemite if you previously had some version of iPhoto 9.x (11) installed. Follow the directions posted by Tererence Devlin in this post:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If iPhoto 9.6.1 is there, close the App Store, drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash and then go back to the App Store.

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

User uploaded file

Aug 20, 2015 2:53 PM in response to tex6

There is no video DVD authoring app that is any where near iDVD's capability. There are apps at the App Store that will create simple video DVDs. However, I would rather export the photos I need to a specific folder on on your hard drive and import them from there into an iDVD project to use. Then when the project is finished and a disk image is created and burned to disk you can delete the folder of photos from the hard drive. The same goes for movie/video files that are in the Photos library.

If you have Toast it can create a video DVD.

Regardless of which app you use follow this workflow to help assure the best qualty video DVD (most apps can save the project as a disk image):

Once you have the project as you want it save it as a disk image via the File ➙ Save as Disk Image menu option. This will separate the encoding process from the burn process.

To check the encoding mount the disk image, launch DVD Player and play it. If it plays OK with DVD Player the encoding is good.

Then burn to disk with Disk Utility or Toast at the slowest speed available (2x-4x) to assure the best burn quality. Always use top quality media: Verbatim, Maxell or Taiyo Yuden DVD-R are the most recommended in these forums.

Can't see Photos Library in iDVD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.