Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to upgrade my PPC G4 running OS x 10.4.11 to OS X 10.5, is there a download available for OS X 10.5?

I have an old PowerPC G4 currently running OS X 10.4.11 that I would like to upgrade to Leopard OS X 10.5 which I understand is the latest OS this machine will upgrade to. Is there a free and/or paid download of Leopard?

I do have a CD that came with my Mac Pro that contains OS X 10.5, which I have tried using to upgrade the G4, but it tells me it cannot complete the upgrade. I'm not sure if this is because this CD came with a different piece of hardware (the Mac Pro) or if for some reason my G4 can go no higher?

I hate to get rid of this machine as I have some older software that will only run on the older operating systems.

Any help would be appreciated!

PPC G4-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 12:36 PM

7 replies

Aug 19, 2015 12:43 PM in response to AJRoome

The CD that came with the Mac Pro is machine specific meaning it can't be used on another other Mac than that Mac Pro.

You can purchase v10.5 Leopard from Amazon here.

Be aware, you will have problems surfing the net on the Safari version for v10.5 Leopard because it's so outdated. Apple has not provided security updates for v10.5 Leopard in many years.

Prior to purchasing Leopard, make sure your Mac meets v10.5 Leopard's requirements > Mac OS X 10.5 - Technical Specifications

Aug 19, 2015 12:44 PM in response to AJRoome

There is no download for Mac OS X version lower than 10.7.5.

The CD that came with your Mac Pro should have a grey face indicating that it is a machine-dependent version that will not work on anyother model computer.

You can try to find a retail copy of 10.5 at places like Amazon (has a black face with big silver X) but be prepared for sticker shock - those are going for prices around $150 these days.

Aug 19, 2015 1:05 PM in response to AJRoome

AJRoome wrote:

I have an old PowerPC G4 currently running OS X 10.4.11 that I would like to upgrade to Leopard OS X 10.5 ... SNIP

I hate to get rid of this machine as I have some older software that will only run on the older operating systems.

Any help would be appreciated!

Is there some reason that you "... would like to upgrade to Leopard ..."?

You know the old saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I have a PB/G3/Firewire Pismo - 512MB RAM - OSX 10.4.11.

As a performance benchmark, I can run PhotoShop as good as it ever did (max performance with nothing else running)

If you are dissatisfied with web browsing in Safari 4.1.3, give TenFourFox a try - many folks here use it - I been using it through many versions with no regrets

TenFourFox: A fork of Mozilla Firefox ESR 38 for the Power Macintosh and Mac OS X Tiger PowerPC

buenos tardes

ÇÇÇ

Aug 19, 2015 1:22 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

I was hoping to install my Adobe CS 5 programs on this machine (which says they need OS 10.5 to run on - plus an Intel processor which I was hoping would not be necessary). I currently have Adobe CS 3 running on the G4 and CS 5 running on a Mac Pro (running Snow Leopard OS X 10.6.8). The plan was to update the Mac Pro to Yosemite (because Safari is now outdated on this OS as well), but I'm afraid the Adobe programs won't work properly once I do this, so I was hoping to have them installed on the older G4 as a backup plan.

Perhaps I should try a different web browser on the Mac Pro - any suggestions?

Aug 19, 2015 2:07 PM in response to AJRoome

Others may have more experience with your additional questions - I think the experts were focusing on your "locating a copy" question.

I am betting that upgrading Adobe CS apps on your G4 would not see a significant performance difference.

My experience with upgrades in Macs and software over the years is that it took me about two hours to outrun the two with my physical and mental actions - back to where I started perception-wise and merely a second or two at a time with efficiency.

we just hate to *wait* - for anything!

I have no experience with Yosemite - thus none with browsers running upon it. Firefox, Chrome, [others] are all very modern browsers - but some sites are just authored to modern hardware expectations.

H.264 encoded MP4s assume the most modern hardware, and bring my Pismo to its knees. Must convert to MPEG 4 .movs to watch smooth video. Forget YouTube.

maybe not going to get your wildest dreams

best luck

ÇÇÇ

I want to upgrade my PPC G4 running OS x 10.4.11 to OS X 10.5, is there a download available for OS X 10.5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.