Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite not downloading

I am doing a hard reset on my MacBook Air. I've already erased the disk and now the download of Yosemite is stuck at a little over 200 hours of remaining time. I have cancelled and tried again. Not currently on a wired connection but my wifi connection at home is still quite fast and reliable. Would it be best to take it into the Apple store?

MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 3:42 PM

7 replies

Aug 19, 2015 3:51 PM in response to Kappy

Yes trying to do a re-install, I had gotten some sort of malware and have been unable to rid my macbook of it so I'm doing a complete reinstall

I followed these steps:

1. In the menu bar, choose Apple menu > Restart. Once your Mac restarts (and the gray screen appears), hold down the Command and R keys.
  2. Select Disk Utility, then click Continue.
  3. Select your startup disk on the left, then click the Erase tab.
  4. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format menu, enter a name, then click Erase.
    Important: Erasing the disk removes all the information from the disk. Be sure to back up the information you want to keep to an external device.

5. After the disk is erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility.
  6. Select Reinstall OS X, click Continue, then follow the onscreen instructions.

Aug 19, 2015 4:02 PM in response to toque_

Looks just right. You probably need to try this: Mac App Store- How to resume interrupted downloads. If that doesn't help, then you will need to quit the download and try again. Granted the download is large it should only take a few hours to download, not 200-plus hours. The file size is about 5.7 GBs. If you know your Wi-Fi speed, then you can estimate how much time it should take.

Aug 19, 2015 4:33 PM in response to toque_

Try this which will install whatever came on it originally from Lion and later.

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

Yosemite not downloading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.