Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to reinstall Mac OX X Mavericks on my iMac

So my family mac was getting slow so i decided to reset it. All files saved on external hardrive. Restarted. COMMAND-R. Erased hard drive. Go to reinstall Mac OS X Mavericks and it says 'temporally unavailable - please try later'. I've been looking around this site for a while looking for an answer on what to do and nothing is conclusive....

I read something that said 'use your original apple ID - that'll work...' it didn't.

I get that since this Mac was last updated Yosemite has come out and Apple Store doesn't support Mavericks anymore. I don't understand it, but I guess that's progress...

but in the meantime, how do I turn what is now just a shiny mirror with an apple logo on it back into a computer.

This computer didn't come with startup discs like in the good old days... apparently you don't need them. But i think you do...

I read elsewhere that USB sticks with Mavericksworked...but where do you get them from?

Is any of this really good enough Apple? Shouldn't it be better supported than this? This ought to be so straightforward no?

c

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), i think it's. 10.9.5 Not sure.

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 4:02 PM

3 replies

Aug 19, 2015 4:16 PM in response to Chris London1

If the computer is really a 2011 iMac as your profile indicates, it did come with startup discs. However if you no longer have them, call AppleCare and for a moderate fee they will replace them for you. If your machine is a 2012 or later iMac then please use Internet Recovery, you can find information on that in OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support

Your post is difficult to figure out what you attempting to do, all I could really get is that you don't have the original install media.

Aug 19, 2015 4:20 PM in response to Chris London1

Mavericks is no longer available for download unless you have already downloaded it. In that case you use the Purchases page of the App Store to re-download Mavericks. You must log into the App Store with the Apple ID originally used to download Mavericks. Your model can be updated to allow Internet Recovery, but you need to perform a firmware upgrade: Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery. If your model came with Lion pre-installed and without software restore discs, then proceed as follows:

Install OS X Using Internet Recovery

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.
  2. After DU loads select your newly installed hard drive (this is the out-dented entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.
  3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should restore the version of OS X originally pre-installed on the computer.

If you know the Apple ID used to download Mavericks, then instead of the above you can do the following provided you have a functioning Recovery HD:

Install or Reinstall OS X from Scratch

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears.

Erase the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your startup volume (usually Macintosh HD) from the

left side list. Click on the Erase tab in the DU main window.

3. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Optionally, click on

the Security button and set the Zero Data option to one-pass. Click on

the Erase button and wait until the process has completed.

4. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall OS X: Select Reinstall OS X and click on the Install button.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible

because it is three times faster than wireless.

This should install the version of OS X that you had installed.

Trying to reinstall Mac OX X Mavericks on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.