Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stranger borrowed phone to make call, they didn't make call, they keyed in numbers and acted like they were making a call, was I scammed, or can they access anything on my phone?

stranger borrowed phone to make a call they punched in some numbers, said the person was not home and handed me back the phone. They had it for a minute. I checked the phone log, but they didn't make a call, what could they have done? This is an iphone 4.

iPhone 4

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 6:20 PM

3 replies

Aug 19, 2015 8:04 PM in response to Lkk0789

Hi LKK, I'll offer you some thoughts for whatever they are worth. First I can tell you with certainty that they did not plant a virus or a trojan on your phone. Unless your phone has been jailbroken (if you know what that is) it is impossible to get a virus/trojan on iOS. It is impossible to know what they did specifically in such short time. As Ethan said above, they could have quickly looked for personal data. I don't know what you keep on your phone (and don't tell us here) but if you had any sensitive files the info might be compromised. They also could have gotten your Apple ID but not your Apple Password or Passcode as those do not show up.

There are a couple settings I would specifically look at. First go into Settings > Phone and look under Call Forwarding to make sure they did not enable that feature. Do the same for Messages > Text Message Forwarding. If they enabled forwarding, they will be getting your messages and calls and who knows what that may contain. If you are really concerned, you could erase all your settings to default and enter them again. You would not lose any data but you would have to spend time resetting your phone again. If you have a recent iTunes backup, you could do a restore from it which would take you back to a point before "they" interacted with your phone. If you do have a backup I would restore from it - far easier than resetting All Settings by hand. Also you could do a restore from an iCloud backup if you have one - just make sure that the time stamp of the iCloud backup is from BEFORE "they" borrowed your phone. If the iCloud backup is dated after "they" borrowed it, this option will not work. I you decide that you want to do any of the above, post again and I will link the official Apple instructions for the actions you want to take.

Finally I would like to offer you a suggestion (maybe it is none of my business, and if so ignore it). Unless there is an emergency like a car crash or a clear medical need, I would not lend my phone to anyone not known to me. If you do not want to be rude, just say something like "Sorry but I am on a very limited data plan and my allotment is nearly out". This gets you out of the hook without appearing impolite.

Sorry you have to deal with this but it is a fact of the times, I am afraid. Hope this was of some help.

elcpu

stranger borrowed phone to make call, they didn't make call, they keyed in numbers and acted like they were making a call, was I scammed, or can they access anything on my phone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.