Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot re-change my USB drive icon

I know how to change an icon on Mac. I changed the icon for my flash drive yesterday to a picture of Spiderman, and now I wish to change it to Captain America's Shield. But when I copy Cap's shield, and paste onto the flash drive, it pastes the Spiderman image!! Trust me Spiderman is NOT on the clipboard!

I noticed that I can paste the shield onto my 'Macintosh HD' which has never been changed before, but when I try pasting the shield onto my external hard drive, which has a custom icon, it doesn't work! I've even deleted the current icon, which resets it to the standard USB hard drive icon, and then paste the shield, but it pastes the old custom icon, which hasn't been on the clipboard since I first added it a year ago!!

I have even tried erasing the flash drive to no avail.

I have tried multiple methods of copying and pasting the icon, eg, copying the file, and opening in preview, selecting and copying...

What is going on and how can I change my drive icons??

Help much appreciated!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), iMac '07, Runs iTunes 11.3; Chrome

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 9:56 PM

4 replies

Aug 19, 2015 10:14 PM in response to Gandalf232

EDIT:

The drives are ExFAT formatted, however I tested it on my Time Machine (Mac OS Extended, Journaled), which I've had a custom icon for as long as my external hard drive (in fact, they are both partitions on the same disc), and that worked fine! I have not an MS-DOS drive which I can test.

I do need my drives to be ExFAT formatted, unless there's another files system I can use, compatible with Mac, Windows, and supports files of more than 4GB, and doesn't have this ridiculous problem.

Aug 20, 2015 3:36 AM in response to Gandalf232

EDIT:

After further investigation, I've discovered that the stubbornness of the icon not changing is related to the name of the drive.

I reformatted one single drive over ten times, and yet it can't be truly erased, unless it is only my computer that is mucking things up.

I reformatted the drive, naming it BRUCE, and made the icon a Hulk's fist.

I reformatted the drive again, named as Untitled, and changed the icon to an image of Iron Man, successfully.

I then reformatted again, named BRUCE and attempted to paste in another image, but the Hulk's fist was pasted.

I then CHANGED THE NAME of the drive to Untitled, and the icon changed to Iron Man.

WHAT THE ****??

The icon could only be seen changing instantly in Disk Utility, otherwise ejecting and reinserting the drive would show the change.

Again, WHAT THE ****??

I will have to try this out on another Mac, but I don't have access to one right now. I'll be back on here if there are any developments.

Thanks to anyone intrigued by this thread. If you have any clue what's going on, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks.

Cannot re-change my USB drive icon

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.