Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any long-term users of voice dictation?

If you have been using voice dictation on the Mac for some time, could you please share your experiences? Has it improved much over the years? Have you discovered any helpful tricks to share? Any persistent problems you really wish would go away? Good features that are gone?

Question background (in the belief it might affect some of the answers in a more useful way, though the questions are deliberately pretty open ended): I bought my first Mac a few months ago, and so far the most 'attractive' Apple-level application that I've discovered is the voice dictation. Not perfect, but mostly seems to be a time saver. My search for ways to make it better have come up dry. Nothing much from Apple (though I may ask again on the basis of how this post consolidates my thinking about the problems), and nothing much from these discussion communities, at least not so far, but I'm obviously trying again.

My most persistent annoyance list would start with the operation of the ambiguity detection feature, but I think I'm failing to understand something basic there. When I am dictating, many words or phrases are marked with what I thought is supposed to indicate a realization that the word or phrase is questionable, but sometimes it offers options, and sometimes it does not. Sometimes the options it offers include the correct text for what I said, other times not. Also there are some ridiculous mistakes, but that's actually what the comics are still joking about... The inconsistency is really annoying me, but I think it is because I can't understand something about how it is supposed to work.

External background (in the belief it might amuse some of you or provide an external point of reference): The main reason I bought the Mac was because of MS's offensive support policies, especially as regards XP and 7, but perhaps MS is panicking now? I can't figure out why else the Windows 10 upgrade seems to be not merely biting the hand that was feeding them, but gnawing off the entire arm. Whatever is going on there, the free upgrade did get me to try Windows 10 on one machine, and it seems to have a voice dictation feature, but it seems to be several versions old and not very good... Highly anecdotal, but I can describe my usage objectives with a simple metric: Faster to dictate than to type. Mac = Yes (usually), MS Windows = No (absolutely, at least so far).

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Aug 19, 2015 11:16 PM

There are no replies.

Any long-term users of voice dictation?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.