Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

4k display downscales everything on Mac. How do I upscale everything using 4k resolution?

I've bought an AOC 28" 4k monitor. Using 4k resolution on my mac mini 2014, everything is tiny, i cant read, view or use apps. I called apple support, which they could not do anything. I got fed up, i ended up reducing the resolution to 1080p. on 1080p, everything works but its not 4k is it?

Why would apple support 4k on mac mini's and not resolve this issue which is still causing problems for other users like me.

Please Help?

How do i upscale everything?

The only option mac offers is to enlarge desktop icons, thats not a resolution!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 12:48 AM

7 replies

Aug 20, 2015 2:59 AM in response to 61unal

There are two ways to use a 4K monitor on a Mac. The first way - the one you appear to have tried so far is to run it in a native (for want of a better term, Apple call this Default for Display) resolution whereby you set a resolution e.g. 4K and this is the resolution the software sees and this gives you 4K of pixels and means a letter that uses say 12 pixels will be very, very small. In this 'native' mode, setting the monitor to 1920x1080 mode means that you get bigger text but do not benefit from the extra 4K resolution to get better quality text.

The other mode which Apple call Scaled 'virtualises' the resolution. With this approach you can use a slider to adjust how big the text appears and behind the scenes it uses the full 4K of pixels to draw it so this gives you the best of both worlds. You can set it to bigger text and still get very smoothly drawn 4K resolution text. As a brief explanation of how this works the image is drawn in memory at a very high resolution and then shrunk to fit on the screen, this is also how the iPhone and iPad work.

So, try opening System Preferences, then click on Displays, then change the mode to 'Scaled' and try adjusting the slider so you get the size of text you want.

Note: While the text can be made bigger this way and still keep the 4K pixel quality making it what Apple call a 'retina' type display photos etc. should be drawn in full resolution making them look far better quality than when you set the monitor to 1920x1080.

Aug 20, 2015 7:19 AM in response to 61unal

Yep Lanny is right the slider only shows up on Macs with built-in Retina displays. However all is not lost, the next simplest option is to switch it back first to the 'Default for Display' mode, then while holding down the Option aka. Alt key on the keyboard click on Scaled. This should hopefully list some additional resolutions and some of them should be labeled HiDPI.

To achieve what you want you select one of the HiDPI modes.

If that approach still does not work then there are various utilities which will add the mode/resolution you need.

Let us know how you get on.

4k display downscales everything on Mac. How do I upscale everything using 4k resolution?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.