Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adjusting JPEG for 1920x 1080 Sequence

Hi guys,

I have a project that requires some time-lapse footage.

The moving clips are all ProRes 422 1920 x 1080. However, the JPEGs for the time-lapse are 5184 x 3456 and 4928 x 3264 and when I put them on the time-line they cause black bars on top and bottom and on sides.

I have tried adjusting the frame size in Preview and no matter what I try I can't seem to get the JPEGs to stretch the width of the sequence settings.

I also want to put a 1.85:1 border round the JPEGs, which makes things slightly more complicated.

Any suggestions, please?

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 9:29 AM

6 replies

Aug 20, 2015 10:34 AM in response to A1ps

1) FCP7 wants to see/ is capable of working reliably with still images with a pixel dimension of 4000px or less at the widest dimension.

2) To eliminate the black bars (fill frame) is your preference to enlarge the image so that you loose some top or bottom of the image but have the frame covered edge to edge OR would rather distort the aspect ratio of the images (5184x3456 is closer to 4:3) to fit the 16:9 frame?

MtD

Aug 20, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Meg The Dog

HI MegtheDog, thanks for your reply.

Ideally I don't want to distort the image. Is there anyway of enlarging the image to fit frame size, keeping the entire picture AND not distorting it? (Losing a very little would not be too much of an issue!) or is that just simply dreaming/impossible?

if that isn't possible, how would I fill the frame and elimate the top and bottom AND side black bars?

Aug 20, 2015 11:39 AM in response to A1ps

Edit one of the 5184 x 3456 images to the timeline. Once it is on the timeline, double click on it to open it in the Viewer. In the Viewer, click on the Motion Tab, and the adjust the Scale and Center parameters until you have the picture as you want within the framing of the 1920X1080 sequence.

Click on the clip in the timeline that you just adjusted to select it again and copy it (Command + C).

Now edit the remaining 5184 x 3456 images to the timeline. Once they are there, select them all - with the exception of the one you have adjusted. Once they are selected, control-click on any one of the selected clips and from the drop down menu choose Paste Attributes.

When the Paste Attributes pane opens, check the box for Basic Motion and click OK.

Now all the images should be set the same as your first image.

Repeat the process with the 4928 x 3264 images.

Once you have the images as you want, select them all and nest them (Sequence > Nest Items . . .) and then apply the Widescreen effect to the nest (Effects Panel > Video Filters > Matte> Widescreen). To adjust the Widescreen effect on the nest, you will need to control-click on the nest in the timeline and choose Open in Viewer, if you double click on it, it will instead several the contents of the nest.

MtD

Aug 21, 2015 8:13 AM in response to Meg The Dog

Thanks Meg the Dog. It worked a treat on the 5184 x 3456 footage. Now when I get the time Ive got to try it on the other frame size.

The only minor problem was with the 1.85:1 Matte. After I'd Nested the items and added the 1.85:1 Matte filer, the border was a little shorted than on the moving ProRes clips. Any reason why that would be? I did go an manually adjust the widescreen and it looks OK. But am curious if it's normal for the border to be slightly shorted on the adjusted and Nested JPEGs.

Aug 31, 2015 12:52 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Hi mate,

Apologies for the late reply. Been away surfing 🙂

I managed to sort out the problem by adjusting the borders on the 1.85:1 matte on the time-lapse footage to match the 1.85:1 matte on the pores footage.

I thought that once I'd Nested the shots on the time-lapse footage the 1.85:1 matte would have matched all my other ProRes footage without having to adjust the borders of the matte.

Adjusting JPEG for 1920x 1080 Sequence

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.