Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB 3.0 interference

So, I’ve been using my MacPro for over a year now and always noticed this issue but now its getting my nerves.

I use a Microsoft wireless mouse/keyboard and every time I use a flash drive or external HDD it would interfere with my mouse causing it do jump it along the screen taking away any precision.

To avoid going after the desktop when I had to plug any USB, I bought a HooToo 3.0 usb hub but I had to take it away because of the interference.

So I went to read about it at the internet, and it seens there is an interference of connected usb 3.0 with Wi-Fi modens and other perifericals, affecting the apple Bluetooth mouse as well.

The apple assistance didn’t know much what to do, so I will be asking you guys. Anyone noticed it?

Maurício

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 8:04 AM

9 replies

Aug 20, 2015 8:51 AM in response to lllaass

You can try re-routing the USB-3 cables.

keep USB-3 cables as short as possible. If you have lots of extra cable, buy a shorter cable to replace it. keep the USB-3 cables as far away from the Bluetooth devices as possible. Avoid "loops" of cable and bunched up cables, as these can act as additional antennas and make the problem worse. Make sure you are not using "lowest bidder" cables that came with a device, but have acquired good quality certified cables.

If you are not already using the 5GHz band for your Wi-Fi, replace your Router to get away from sending a lot of data in the 2.4GHz band (channels under 15). Consider pulling an Ethernet cable instead. -- it is also much faster if you do computer-to-computer transfers or large uploads or downloads.

Aug 20, 2015 8:54 AM in response to MauriBra

Using USB 3 devices on Mac computers FAQ - http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5172

"I sometimes have difficulty with Wi-Fi or Bluetooth devices when USB 3 devices are attached to my computer. What could be wrong?

Some USB 3 devices, hard drives in particular, can generate radio frequency interference that can cause Wi-Fi and Bluetooth devices operating in the 2.4GHz band to have issues communicating with your computer. Do not place hard drives or other USB devices behind the rear of your Mac near at the hinge of your screen. The antennas for Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are located there, and USB 3 devices placed there may interfere with your wireless connections. See this white paper for more information."

USB 3.0 interference

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.