Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network ancient Quadra 950 running OS7 to a Windows 7 machine?

Folks,

Probably an unusual request - does anyone have any idea how to, or even if it is possible, to network an ancient Quadra 950 running OS7 to a modern Windows (sorry!) machine running Win 7.

This is because I will be running some legacy scanning software on the Quadra, and I will then need to transfer the images to the modern computer for further processing.

If it is possible, I presume that I will need an ethernet transceiver for the Quadra (perhaps model M0437?)

What else would I need, and how would I set up the network so that the Windows machine can see at least one shared folder on the Quadra?

Thanks for any help! 🙂

J.

Quadra 950-OTHER, Mac OS 8.6 or Earlier, null

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 8:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 9:21 AM

Hi,

In principle, it can be done, but to begin with, the Quadra 950 must be running system software (such as System 7.5.3) capable of handling TCP/IP. Exactly which System 7 version are you using?

Providing that TCP/IP can be handled, it should be possible to install an FTP server (such as the now free NetPresenz) on the Quadra, and then access the files at a Windows computer through the use of a dedicated FTP client (or a normal web browser). An FTP client would also allow uploads to the FTP server.

Yes, you will need an external transceiver for the AAUI port of the Quadra (the mentioned M0437 Apple Ethernet Twisted-Pair Transceiver, or a third-party equivalent). You would connect both computers to the LAN ports of a router.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 20, 2015 9:21 AM in response to James0000000

Hi,

In principle, it can be done, but to begin with, the Quadra 950 must be running system software (such as System 7.5.3) capable of handling TCP/IP. Exactly which System 7 version are you using?

Providing that TCP/IP can be handled, it should be possible to install an FTP server (such as the now free NetPresenz) on the Quadra, and then access the files at a Windows computer through the use of a dedicated FTP client (or a normal web browser). An FTP client would also allow uploads to the FTP server.

Yes, you will need an external transceiver for the AAUI port of the Quadra (the mentioned M0437 Apple Ethernet Twisted-Pair Transceiver, or a third-party equivalent). You would connect both computers to the LAN ports of a router.

Aug 21, 2015 1:12 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thank you Jan! As a complete OS novice, I didn't know what version was installed, as I hadn't yet looked properly at the machine...

Anyway, I now have and it is running OS 7.6. Interestingly, it must have been networked at some time in the past as it has a copy of AppleTalk installed, and it has a PCI (or earlier equivalent) card with an RJ45 connector.

Does this mean then that I have the basics to be able to transfer the files as you mention above, if I also install NetPresenz on the Quadra? Would it then be a case of connecting to the LAN ports of a dedicated router, with the setting up of appropriate IP addresses - is there a simple guide showing how to do this?

[on a complete aside, another (hopefully) easy question - is there a way to make program / OS menus persist when clicking on them with the mouse? At the moment, the menus are only visible if the mouse key is depressed - they dissapear when the mouse key is released.]

Aug 21, 2015 3:08 AM in response to James0000000

Yes, you should now have the basic hardware and software, unless the installed Ethernet card is missing a driver. BTW, the Quadra 950 has one PDS and five Nubus slots.

Check that the TCP/IP control panel is properly set. If there is a web browser installed on the Quadra, you could carry out a quick test by connecting to the Internet (via a router). Typically, DHCP is used.

Installing and setting up NetPresenz on the Quadra should not be too difficult (see the documentation).

Connect the Windows 7 computer to another LAN port of the router. Use a suitable FTP client (or possibly a web browser for a start). Enter the IP address of the FTP server.

Do not hesitate to post back if there are additional questions.

You may want to look for third-party software (StickyClick or something similar?) for "persisting" menus in pre-Mac OS 8 systems.

Aug 21, 2015 8:42 AM in response to James0000000

A typical wired router (without a modem) would be D-Link's DI-604, which has one WAN port (RJ-45 Ethernet) and four LAN ports (RJ-45 Ethernet). For a local connection that would be sufficient. For an Internet connection, a cable or DSL modem would have to be added, if necessary.

If you already have a wireless (Wi-Fi) router with LAN ports (and maybe a built-in cable or DSL modem), that one could be used as well.

Aug 21, 2015 9:00 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks Jan.

I do have a wireless router, that's how my Windows machine is connected to the internet. It isn't close to the location of the equipment though, so I couldn't connect it or the Quadra with a wire.

If I have to build a local connection specifically for the Quadra that would be OK, so it looks like the cheap Belkin router (which has one WAN and four LAN ports) might suffice.

I also have a wireless bridge module which I could potentially use to connect the Quadra to the current router...

I'll still have to solve the SNMP error of course...

Thanks again for the help!!

Aug 21, 2015 9:37 AM in response to James0000000

The error appears to be related to some kind of network mangement software. The Quadra could probably be inspected/supported by someone responsible for a network. Do you need this? Can it be switched off, or removed (uninstaller)? I do not really know anything about this, but If it is merely a control panel and an extension, one should be able to disable these just by moving them out of the Control Panels and Extensions folders (could be placed in an empty folder outside the System Folder) and restart.

If in doubt, it may be better/safer to reinstall the system software (clean installation).

Aug 22, 2015 1:56 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

I don't know what card is inside unfortunately, but will be opening the Quadra again to properly clean it etle

Sadly, a clean install isn't possible at the moment as I don't yet have the discs for a few pieces of the software that are present. Luckily, in respect of the network management software, don't think I need it so disabling it could be the correct move.

Then getting a transceiver after all might get round the problem.

Network ancient Quadra 950 running OS7 to a Windows 7 machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.