Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I export a jpg to pdf in the Photos app?

How do I export a jpg to pdf in the Photos app? This question has been asked before in the support community but has not been adequately answered. The pdf option is not given in the print commands and there is no way I found to open a jpg in Preview to convert the photo to pdf. The only way I can convert is to send the jpg to my PC and then use their simple photo program to save as a pdf. Why should I continue with my Mac if I cannot do simple tasks?

MacBook Air (11-inch, Early 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 12:05 PM

12 replies

Aug 20, 2015 12:19 PM in response to Staynavytom

Apart from the very obvious.. why one earth would you want to convert a jpeg to pdf?... you can print from Photos, iPhoto and indeed every single app on your Mac to a pdf.

If that's too complicated, then you can simply open the jpeg in Preview and export it to pdf.

Doesn't matter how simple the task, you still have to learn how to do it.

Aug 21, 2015 11:06 AM in response to Staynavytom

The pdf option is not given in the print commands

Perhaps you're not looking in the right place/menu:

User uploaded file

To open a jpeg in Preview one must export it to the Desktop and drag the file onto the Preview application.

If you Control (right) - click on the jpeg file while it's on the Desktop and select Get Info from contextual menu you'll see which app the jpeg is set to open with:

User uploaded file

If it's not set to open with Preview or your preferred app change it in the drop down menu and clic, on the Change All Button:

User uploaded file

Aug 11, 2016 12:13 PM in response to Staynavytom

I know this question is almost a year old, but I had the same question and after reading the comments, I had to respond. This was not a stupid or neophyte question. Photos handles printing differently from any other Mac App I've seen, which gave rise to my own confusion as to how to print to .pdf, and I've been using macs for over 25 years.

As it turns out, there are actually two dialog boxes, both with the "Print" button. This is shown on Old Toad's photo. If you are on the first dialog, it gives no option for printing to .pdf. Of course, if you want to print to .pdf you don't want to print to the shown printer, so one wouldn't click the 'Print' button that takes you to the second dialog box. This second dialog box, as it turns out, DOES contain the options for printing to .pdf.

I was just really turned off by the snark in the responses. And yes, I have a very good reason to convert .jpgs to .pdfs.

Aug 11, 2016 12:31 PM in response to Cadilon

Your response was what I finally found myself largely by luck. I used the pdf option from the print dialog box in Pages and later tried it in Photos and other apps. In another Photos stream, I learned Photos is only a data management app. Not sure what that means to real computer nerds but for me I found I had to "export" my jpg photo files into another folder and then open them with Preview. From there I could do some other stuff like naming the file the way I wanted to name it instead of the way Apple named it in my iPad. Old Toad helped with that answer. Wish I could send my carpal tunnel expenses to Apple to pay for all the mouse clicks for a simple action.

<Edited by Host>

Aug 19, 2016 7:27 PM in response to Staynavytom

The users below are very helpful but the one thing they are missing is you have to hit the print button in the first dialogue box/screen trusting that it won't destroy your printer ink supply and paper stock and then ... and only then... do you get the dialogue box with the "save as PDF" option. Thanks to those that got me to the right screen eventually.

How do I export a jpg to pdf in the Photos app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.