Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update to SSD on mid-2010 MacBook Pro

I've read most of the past posts on this subject, but looking for some advice from anyone who has done this recently and what SSD did you use.

I have a mid-2010 MacBook Pro 7,1 with a 2.66 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo running Yosemite 10.10.5. I understand that this laptop is only SATA 2.0 and from what I've read it's better to use a SATA 2.0 SSD than most of the newer drives that are made for SATA 3.0 machines. I've read that these newer drives will function with SATA 2.0 but they track down to SATA 1.0 speeds.

Problem is SATA 2.0 drives are hard to find or are often more expensive than the 3.0 versions.

Would appreciate opinions and advice from anyone who has gone through this recently and/or is knowledgeable.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.4.1, null

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 1:40 PM

13 replies

Aug 20, 2015 1:46 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks ... OWC were actually the ones that told me to look at a different SSD. This is off their website:

"While a 6G SSD does function, it will only do so at SATA Revision 1.0 (1.5Gb/s, 150MB/s) speeds rather that the SATA Revision 2.0 (3.0Gb/s 300MB/s) speed the computer can deliver.The Mercury Electra 3G SSD is the OWC recommended upgrade option for the Macs listed in the special note above"

Aug 21, 2015 7:38 AM in response to Alan Musgrave

As Kappy said, any modern SSD. Choose a good brand SSD 6GBps (Sata 3), it will be sata 2 compatible, do not use the Mercury one as OWC said, it has probably an old type Controller. Use Crucial, Micron, OWC Electra.. When you want to buy Samsung, wait until it has the september 2015 (or later) Firmware update in it !

Do NOT install Trim, have enough free space instead (30 GB or more).

Aug 21, 2015 7:50 AM in response to Alan Musgrave

I've installed SSDs into lots of Unibody MBPs from 2009 to 2012 models. Any SATA III SSD that you can buy now will work absolutely fine.

And you will be amazed at the difference!

The easiest way is then to download SuperDuper!, buy an external USB drive enclosure, and use SuperDuper to clone your drive to the SSD. This will take some time -- a good few hours.

Then switch the drives over. It's very easy to do: you'll find instructions on sites like ifixit.com.

Aug 21, 2015 9:43 AM in response to Lexiepex

All good advice .. thanks. A couple of questions though.

1. On cloning the drive, some of the other discussions on this have recommended to do a clean install of Yosemite on the new drive and migrate the data over vs cloning. This is presumably to start off with a clean drive vs. picking up all the clutter from the old drive. Cloning would probably be easier though. Thoughts?

2. Are there any specific SSD drives that are recommended? I was looking at a Samsung SSD 850 PRO or SSD 850 EVO but some recent posts suggest some compatibility problems. OWC pitches their Mercury Drives as particularly well suited to a Mac and there is no need for TRIM. I would actually prefer to buy locally and something cheaper. http://blog.macsales.com/21641-with-an-owc-ssd-theres-no-need-for-trim

Aug 21, 2015 12:03 PM in response to Alan Musgrave

1. Yes, that is a good idea, nobody is against it although it costs meuch more time. If you have upgraded several OSX - e.g. from SnowLeopard to Mavericks - it is a very good idea to do a fresh start. If you clean and have old removed every time it is less urgent.

2. Samsung is OK, as long as you wait for the new firmware ! Also Samsung should not have Trim. Whatever Cindori says. Do not use TrimEnabler. If you cannot resist Trim, do it with the Yosemite 10.10.4 and later command. But even that can result in issues, as they say in a very clear and harsh disclaimer.

Also OWC delivers very good SSDs, take the most modern ones.

Aug 22, 2015 7:07 AM in response to Lexiepex

Thanks for this. One question though about the Samsung SSD drives. How can I tell if the drive has the new firmware. Is this something that I can check before buying or will I need to update the firmware myself ... and what version is it? If I have to do this myself after buying, would another make that is compatible now not be a better choice.

Update to SSD on mid-2010 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.