Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't get image from Mac mini (Late 2009) to Samsung 55" 4K TV (UE55JU7005) - Using mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

Hi there,

long time mac-hobbyist, new to discussion forums!

Specs:

Mac: Mac mini Late 2009

TV: Samsung 55" 4K TV (UE55JU7005) / European model

My problem:

I've used Mac mini (Late 2009) as media streaming box for my TV. I've used so far LG 42" old plasma screen and 50" LG plasma TV as my screen. Mac mini has served me flawlessly for years, and I thought it would do so for a while longer. Last Friday I changed to a new TV, Samsung 55" 4K TV (UE55JU7005). This is when problems began.

At first, when I installed this new Samsung TV, I connected Playstation 4, it worked OK. Then I connected Mac mini. It worked just fine. But after a couple of hours of testing new features of TV (Smart-TV features) and after involuntary firmware update by TV, at some point, when I changed the HDMI source back to Mac mini, there was no image anymore. Samsung TV just showed "No signal".

I've had no luck getting the image back ever since. Problem is, that image output from Mac mini was working just fine for a while, no changes were made to TV or Mac mini - it just stopped working after a while...

Connection from Mac mini: Mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter + HDMI cable.

I've tried *everything* I can think of (based on reading articles / searching):

Tested that mini is working: Mac mini is working just fine it outputs image to other monitors, TV just fine

Adapter: I've tried 3 different adapters: Dr. Bot, Belkin, and Fuj!tec (no-brand)

HDMI cable: I've also tried three different HDMI cables which all work with other devices

"Voodoo" stuff I've tried: PRAM reset, SVC reset, delete monitor profiles, TV factory reset, re-install OS X 10.10.5

Conclusion: At this point I've a suspicion that this has something to do with HDMI / HDCP / EDID stuff, based on what I've read. But I'm not an expert of any sort in these matters, I'm just guessing. I've talked with two local Mac dealers, they haven't heard about anything similar (no wonder) but I've read a ton of links from Internet, where people have had similar troubles.

Options: At this point, I'm considering buying 2014 Mac mini, which I don't like, as my 2009 model works just fine - and I might end up with exactly same problem. Maybe I just have to return the TV, although I haven't heard back yet from reseller I bought the TV from. Samsung tech support was also completely oblivious to this problem, they only told me to contact re-seller.

So, has anyone had similar issues? Any advice and suggestions would be appreciated. It seems like there is no hardware failure involved, but some esoteric software incompatibility.

Thanks in advance!

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.0.x)

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 12:56 PM

14 replies

Aug 20, 2015 1:03 PM in response to r3troUser

You said "But after a couple of hours of testing new features of TV (Smart-TV features) and after involuntary firmware update by TV, at some point, when I changed the HDMI source back to Mac mini, there was no image anymore. "

That implies that the TV firmware update caused the problem.

Then later you stated " no changes were made to TV or Mac mini - it just stopped working after a while...".

Have you reset the TV to defaults? there should be that option in the Settings on-screen menu.

With monitor connected try booting to Recovery to help rule out a software problem with the Mac

http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

Aug 20, 2015 1:23 PM in response to lllaass

lllaass:

Thanks for the reply.

Like I mentioned, I did do a full "factory reset" of Samsung TV (4 button combo to enter service menu and all that, suggested by Samsung service guy), after first doing reset inside user interface, which didn't help, but neither did factory reset.

Firmware update: I'm not quite sure when the "no signal" appeared, but it wasn't immediately after firmware update. Can't recall exactly what happened, but it might have happened after swapping between HDMI source to PS4 and then Mac mini, but it didn't happen immediately after firmware update.

Software problem: I erased Mac mini HD, and started from scratch, like I mentioned. But that either didn't help. Booting in recovery mode - I tried that too, but there isn't image obviously in that mode either, as it seems like TV doesn't see Mac mini at all...

Aug 29, 2015 8:27 AM in response to r3troUser

I have the same issue:

Mac mini Early 2009 (used to work OK with an old non-smart Samsung LED TV) + UE48J6200

Every time I change to HDMI when Mac mini is connected, the "no signal" message appears. I've read something about HDMI negotiation failure. Have you tried to unplug/plug the HDMI connector and verified if it works after that? To test if your case is the same than mine.

I've connected a HDMI hub between the mac cable and the TV, and every time I select the Mac HDMI on the TV I use the hub remote to "force" to change to Mac's signal. It seems the HDMI port goes up in that moment and it raises the signal to the TV.

It's not a solution but it works by now.

Regards

Aug 31, 2015 12:07 AM in response to r3troUser

Hi

I have the exact same problem, and its been driving me nuts. Mac Mini (late 2009) connected to a 2015 Samsung 48U7005 through mini displayport/hdmi cable.

Things worked just great, then suddenly i get the "No Signal" message on screen. This being after a firmware update is plausible.

Have tried to isolate the issue. Device seems fine, i can connect other computer to the displayport and get signal. Have not tried with different cable though.

Did any of you raise this with Samsung?

Aug 31, 2015 1:14 PM in response to jesperfromcopenhagen

Hi !

I mentioned in my post that Samsung tech support was completely oblivious to this problem, they only told me to contact re-seller. They didn't sound very defensive but not very helpful either, which to me was disappointing, as they couldn't offer any solution.

Also talked / called Samsung tech support.

Guy there hadn't heard about such issue. He recommended doing factory reset, and when asked about HDMI port reset (also in service menu) he said that It too can be tried, and shouldn't have major possibility of bricking bios but said it's not most likely helpful either.

Factory reset sounded doable, and it didn't make any difference....

Local reseller said that problem might be with Mac mini ("it's not a proper HDMI device as it doesn't have HDMI port") which sounded like a bad excuse, as Mac mini has worked just fine with other brand TVs and monitors, even with Wacom cintiq and such.

Sep 1, 2015 11:08 AM in response to r3troUser

FYI: I actually got one more adapter to test Mac mini with Samsung TV. An EBay mini DVI to HDMI adapter. It didn't make any difference however, no signal like from mini DisplayPort.

And I tested Samsung with new (skylake/z170 chipset) Intel/Win based system too - Samsung also gives "no signal" when this system is booted. Sometimes I have to restart system to get image, sometimes changing source is enough. It's hard to think it's just faulty source of signal.

Oct 17, 2015 6:46 AM in response to r3troUser

Update to this thread although it has been a month or so - two days ago updated Samsung TV to 1411 firmware version and now the Image of Mac Mini is working again!

So if anyone else has this same issues was just Samsung TV at least in my case. Trying to disable all firmware udpates of TV now I guess.

I haven't changed anything , Mac mini hasn't been even booted (as I couldn't get image) and no cables or anything has been changed. So this firmware updaet was only change since last post here.

Can't get image from Mac mini (Late 2009) to Samsung 55" 4K TV (UE55JU7005) - Using mini DisplayPort to HDMI adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.