Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does an empty speech bubble appear when I attempt to send/receive images via iMessage on my iPhone?

As of recently, when I try to send/receive images via iMessage on my iPhone, all that appears is a blank speech bubble. I am able to send/receive images via iMessage on my Mac Book Air without a problem. I tried restarting my iPhone, but to no avail. I deleted the conversations in which the problem occurred, but it continues to happen. I even turned iMessage off and back on. What should I do to fix the problem?

iPhone 4, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 2:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 1:04 PM

Hi haley.moz,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you can't send or receive images via iMessage to some contacts, and you only see an empty speech bubble. You've tried some good steps including restarting your iPhone and turning iMessages off and back on.

Next, try these tips from If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

Check your device settings

1. Make sure that you’re connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage, Send as SMS, or MMS Messaging is turned on (whichever method you're trying to use). Learn about the different types of messages you can send.
    User uploaded file

Restart your device and check for updates

1. Restart your device.
  2. Check for a carrier settings update.
  3. Check for an iOS software update.

Sign out and back in to iMessage and FaceTime

1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  3. On your iPhone first, sign back in to iMessage and Facetime.
  4. Sign back in to iMessage and Facetime on your other devices.

Reset your network settings

Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Back up and restore your device

Use iTunes or iCloud to back up your content, then restore your device.

All the best.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2015 1:04 PM in response to haley.moz

Hi haley.moz,

Thanks for visiting Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you can't send or receive images via iMessage to some contacts, and you only see an empty speech bubble. You've tried some good steps including restarting your iPhone and turning iMessages off and back on.

Next, try these tips from If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:

Check your device settings

1. Make sure that you’re connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network.
  2. Go to Settings > Messages and make sure that iMessage, Send as SMS, or MMS Messaging is turned on (whichever method you're trying to use). Learn about the different types of messages you can send.
    User uploaded file

Restart your device and check for updates

1. Restart your device.
  2. Check for a carrier settings update.
  3. Check for an iOS software update.

Sign out and back in to iMessage and FaceTime

1. Go to Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  2. Go to Settings > FaceTime, tap your Apple ID, then tap Sign Out.
  3. On your iPhone first, sign back in to iMessage and Facetime.
  4. Sign back in to iMessage and Facetime on your other devices.

Reset your network settings

Tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

Back up and restore your device

Use iTunes or iCloud to back up your content, then restore your device.

All the best.

Why does an empty speech bubble appear when I attempt to send/receive images via iMessage on my iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.