Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Driver issues Windows 10 on A1181 (no headphone playback devices)

Hi there,

Please be gentle as I'm VERY new to the Mac world/community!

It took me quite some time but I finally managed to get my A1181 (Macbook 2.1) to run Windows 10 today. I couldn't get the drivers downloaded through Boot Camp (3.0.4) but I'm now up and running with the exception of the IR Remote, Camera but most importantly, I've no audio. Zero. Nada. (I'm running Snow Leopard).

I'm coming from a Windows background so I'm pretty familiar with that side of things. In device manager I've no issues showing with the "Audio inputs and outputs" nor "Sound, video and game controllers".

When I go to Sound, Playback Devices, only Speakers and Digital Audio show up, no mention of headphones. I also have the red light in the headphone socket.

I've spent hours trawling through version forums to try to resolve my audio issue but I've drawn a blank. I've tried installing a few different drivers but it shows the ones that I'm running as the most up to date.

Any suggestions please?

MacBook, Other OS

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 2:51 PM

33 replies

Aug 22, 2015 7:59 AM in response to woldranger

You have a 13-in Late 2007 Macbook. From System requirements to install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support, the highest you can go is Windows 7 32-bit. There are no drivers for Windows 10 for your Mac based on Use Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support. Your Mac is also not in the official list of supported W10 Macs.

You can download the drivers from the W7 link and install them with Administrative privileges and compatibility set to W7 when install specific drivers by hand. You may still encounter errors.

Aug 22, 2015 8:05 AM in response to Loner T

I know that there are no official Windows 10 drivers for my version, and that's why I was hoping someone on here would be able to give me a link to the specific driver that I'm looking for, just for the audio. With all due respect, I've already downloaded any obvious driver packages. Sorry, I must have given the wrong impression when I said that I was a newbie. I'm new to Mac's not to Windows - I've had a bit of experience building and fixing my own pc's.

So it still remains that I've no working audio driver - any suggestions anyone?

Aug 22, 2015 8:45 AM in response to Loner T

I'm actually running the 64 bit version after reading that it was possible (all I had to do was to modify the Windows 10 install ISO from the Microsoft site on my PC to make it bootable and burn it to a dvd ) and, to my credit it's working really well It's just this one pesky driver.

I'm gonna have a go at the 64 bit driver from that link but if you could clear one thing up for me please? When you earlier mentioned "install them with Administrative privileges and compatibility set to W7". How exactly would I go about installing with Admin privileges?

Aug 22, 2015 9:05 AM in response to Loner T

I downloaded the relevant file you mentioned earlier and as I thought, it's the same that I already had. I need to know the "specific" driver to download. I tried just trying to select 64bit drivers from Realtek and Cirrus and even ones from the Apple folder just in case but to no avail. This is actually where I found the missing drivers for the IR etc but I can't find the relevant.

I've not been able to find the model of my soundcard - any suggestions?

Aug 22, 2015 9:46 AM in response to Loner T

In msinfo32, Sound Device shows it as High definition audio device. Microsoft. The status shows OK. This is the name of the driver, HdAudio.sys

I dont understand why everything seems fine but there's no headphones showing (plus the red light) and then I have no audio what so ever. Thankfully its fine on the Mac side. It's just trial and at this stage, a lot of error!

EDIT.

In System Profiler...

Audio (built in)

Intel High Definition Audio

Audio ID : 34

When I go to Headphone, it just shows Connection : Combination Output

Not sure if any of that makes it any clearer, but I'm assuming at least I know I'm looking for an Intel driver?

Driver issues Windows 10 on A1181 (no headphone playback devices)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.