Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

changing time machine target IP address.

Hi All, I'm having trouble with my Time Machine on my MBP. I currently am backing up to a WD MyCloud NAS. I've changed the IP address to the NAS and since have reset the connection. I'm having trouble since changing the address for Time Machine to locate the MyCloud. Is there a way to change the IP address for Time Machine to locate a NAS? Do I have to delete everything and start over?

Thanks for any and all help!

Jeremy

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 3:33 PM

4 replies

Aug 20, 2015 6:33 PM in response to chefpyro116

A third-party network-attached storage device (NAS) is unsuitable for use with Time Machine, especially if it's your only backup. I know this isn't what you want to hear. I know that Time Machine accepts the NAS as a backup destination. I know that the manufacturer says the device will work with Time Machine, and I also know that it usually seems to work. Except when you try to restore, and find that you can't.

Apple has published a specification for network devices that work with Time Machine. None of the third-party NAS vendors, as far as I know, meets that specification. They all use the incomplete, obsolete Netatalk implementation of Apple Filing Protocol.

Apple does not endorse any third-party NAS device for use with Time Machine. See this support article.

If you want network backup, use as the destination either an Apple Time Capsule or an external storage device connected to another Mac or to an 802.11ac AirPort base station. Only the 802.11ac base stations support Time Machine, not any older model.

Otherwise, don't use Time Machine at all. There are other ways to back up, though none of them is anywhere near as efficient or as well integrated with OS X. I don't have a specific recommendation.

If you're determined to keep using the NAS with Time Machine, your only recourse for any problems that result is to the manufacturer (which will blame Apple, or you, or anyone but itself.)

Aug 27, 2015 10:16 PM in response to Linc Davis

" I know this isn't what you want to hear. "

Well said sir. Well said. I have been backing up with my ReadyNas for a year now, and just had my first problem trying to get a file version from a week ago.

ReadyNas 104 has an app on their sight for time machines. Luckily I have a 3tb sitting around and will switch to that unless I can fix the current issue and find that Readynas meets apples specs.

Thanks for the links and knowledge.

Nov 26, 2016 5:33 PM in response to Linc Davis

While I trust the above comment about supported Time Machine backup target devices may be true, it side steps the question being asked.

The exact same problem exists even if one is backing up to an external drive attached to another mac as officially supported by Apple. Specifically, I back up multiple macs to an external drive connected to another mac and if the IP address of the mac being used to host the time machine backups changes my computers cannot backup to the same sparsebundle backup file. My old backup file is not recognized and a new one needs to be started. This means that the first backup is very large (since it's a whole backup) and to see any history I need to keep the old spasrebundle file around and select "browse other TM disks"once in time machine.

This really stinks, I've moved twice where for a variety of reasons I couldn't use the same IP address and had to do all my backups from scratch.

changing time machine target IP address.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.