Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro Early 2008 (3,1) Won't Boot, AHT Shows "No Trouble Found"

Hi Everyone,

I have a Mac Pro Early 2008 (3,1); 2.80GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon CPU; 2 Processors, 8 Cores, NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT graphics card, 14GB RAM [configured as bottom riser B: 1: OEM (1GB), 2: OEM (1GB), 3: Crucial (2GB), 4: Crucial (2GB), top riser A: 1: OWC (4GB), 2: OWC (4GB)], OS 10.10.5 (Yosemite).

A few days ago, my monitor (Gateway FPD2275W 22" LCD) started showing garbled and distorted images (square patterns of fuzzy green & red, black boxes, etc.) after performing tasks in Safari such as using online bill pay with my bank, and later with Chrome when typing in forums such as this one. Yesterday, while composing a message on the Native Instruments forum, the bottom 3/4 of the monitor went black and the top 1/4 white. It also appeared to be cycling quickly (not a static image), but nothing else would appear. I powered down using the on/off switch and since then the computer won't boot anymore.

I disconnected everything except the keyboard and monitor, then eventually figured out how to get the CD tray open by right-clicking the mouse while booting up, and ran the regular Apple Hardware Tool from the Installation #1 disk. Result was "No Trouble Found," even though the monitor was now displaying vertical yellow lines with the hardware test showing. Last night, I ran the extended test, which again (after 2 hours and 34 minutes of testing) showed "No Trouble Found." The hardware test wouldn't even shut down, so I turned the computer off again using the on/off switch.

I've also reset the PRAM and SMC, but no change. I have removed all aftermarket memory (down to two 1GB OEM module in slot 1 of risers A&B now), but still no change. I've read that the issue could be with the logic board or the graphics card, but both seem expensive to replace, may not resolve the issue, and then I'm still using the 3,1 model, which I understand is the "problem child" of the classic Mac Pro series.

I use the Mac Pro mostly for music production with Logic, Native Instruments Complete, Rob Papen software, etc. so I like the classic Mac Pro's internal hard drive configuration. I have two 3TB Seagate Barracuda drives and another 750 Seagate drive and backup is on a Seagate Backup Plus 4TB using Time Machine. I was also using Windows 7 with Parallels 9 and Office 2010 for spreadsheets, Word docs, etc.

After losing my job coming out of the Great Recession, I can't swing a new Mac Pro anymore, but the "trash can" models might be overkill for my needs these days anyway. I'm open to any suggestions or ideas, was thinking about taking it into the Apple Genius bar to try and find the issue, then get an estimate on repair costs.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 3,1; 2.80GHz Quad Core; NVIDIA 8800

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 5:31 PM

13 replies

Aug 20, 2015 6:52 PM in response to DonH229

You most likely need a new graphics card.

AHT makes only a very cursory check of graphics cards, and it is not an accident that it says "No Trouble found" rather than "All is Well".

You can try restarting into Safe Mode, which does a Disk Utility (Repair Disk) with progress bar as it comes up, them requires your userid and password to log in, even if you normally auto-login. It does not load the graphics driver, but instead relies on simple graphics mode, no acceleration.

Mac Pro with Xeon processor uses error correcting code memory. Simple memory errors are corrected on the fly with no slowdown. Serious Memory errors do not fester -- they are detected and reported in a distinctive way, and you are not showing those symptoms.

Aug 20, 2015 10:32 PM in response to DonH229

Thanks much for the feedback! I'll start reading some reviews of those compatible graphics cards next. As for Safe Booting, I had tried holding down the Option key, but looks like I should try booting again using the Shift key.

I was thinking about trying to find a refurbished iMac through Apple and then adding AppleCare to get it warrantied for three years. But that would involve data migration, getting drive enclosures for my hard drives, etc. If it's just the graphics card, I think that would be fairly easy to swap out.

Overall, it's been a good machine. Biggest issues I've had aside from this incident were defective memory from OWC (the LED was flashing on the riser) which was exchanged at no charge, and a Seagate drive in bay #2 that "bricked." Took me a long time to figure that one out since the computer wouldn't boot at all, and replacing the operating system drive in bay #1 and reinstalling the OS didn't resolve it! Anyway, once I resolved, that gave me the benefit of a clean install and then I moved my data over manually and reinstalled the apps.

So a new graphics card might be the least expensive and most convenient solution to get a few more years out of my Mac Pro (fingers crossed)! Will provide an update on how things turn out.

Aug 21, 2015 6:19 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Glad to hear! The video cards compatible with the 3,1 (Early 2008) seem fairly scarce these days, but I did find an ATI Radeon 4870 Graphics Upgrade Kit (1GB RAM, condition: new) for $240 with good reviews, and several people have installed it in the 3,1 with good results. It's supposed to be a step up from the GeForce8800GT, but tends to run a little hot from what I've read. From what I've found so far, it's down to either that or an ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256mb DDR3 that goes for about the same price, so I'll probably go with the 4870.

Aug 21, 2015 8:12 PM in response to DonH229

Hi

I think the 4870 would be a good choice, as the 2600 was the standard card the 3.1 came and the 8800t was the optional upgrade.

As for the heat issue i have removed one of the metal plates at the back of the machine above where my graphic card sits to improve the flow of air.

I wish i had thought of that before as I think the heat was what ended the 8800gt, it used to run very hot.

good luck with the new card, and hope you have many more years of use with the metal box.

Aug 24, 2015 11:56 PM in response to DonH229

I decided to order the Radeon 4870 Mac Pro kit from Videocardseller on Amazon, should be here in a few days. I'm not affiliated with this vendor in any way, but their policy is to exchange cards out within six months, even up to a year since the manufacturer doesn't warranty them anymore.

While I'm waiting for it, thought I'd brainstorm some ideas to keep the silver tower cooler if possible. Removing one of the card slot covers would allow the other enemy of dust, imo, and I'm not sure if dust or heat would be worse. I'm wondering if there's any kind of mesh "hybrid" slot cover that allows airflow but keeps out dust? It's in the 90's this week here in Southern California, so the heat is definitely on!

As for safe booting while holding down the SHIFT key, same result as before (see second picture above). I've reinstalled the memory modules per above configuration (not the ideal configuration per Apple, but the 4GB modules don't work on the other riser, oh well!) So as Tom Petty would say, "The waiting is the hardest part!" 😉

Aug 28, 2015 1:39 AM in response to DonH229

I replaced the old graphics card with the ATI Radeon 4870 today, and happy to report that the computer boots normally again and everything looks fine. The Chrome browser even restored the old web pages from when the computer crashed, and there was my message on the Native Instruments forum (which I had already retyped again since then).

I do have a couple of installation tips for anyone who either needs to remove the NVIDIA GeForce8800GT card or install the ATI Radeon 4870 from a Mac Pro Early 2008 (3,1):

1. The Radeon 4870 uses two power receptacles, while the GeForce8800GT only used one. It might be advisable to open up the computer to verify that both receptacles would be available for the new card (one was free in my case, the other was plugged into the 8800GT.

2. The 8800GT card cannot be removed simply by lifting it out. I looked a few places for instructions on how to free it from the slot, since it was stuck, and saw a tip here in the Apple forum to pull some lever on the upper left side of the card. There is no such lever on this card, but I did find a PDF document from Apple that explained how to replace the graphics card and it was useful:

https://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/0/MA178/en_US/MacPro_PCIeCard_DIY.pdf

The end of the PCI-Express card slot is about halfway under the 8800GT graphics card. There's a "lever" at the end of the card slot (look at the lever on one of the empty slots to roughly determine its position). Once you find the lever underneath the 8800GT, pull it up (toward the hard drive bays) while simultaneously pulling the card out of the slot and it should come free.

3. I had a difficult time seating the new Radeon 4870 card into the slot for a couple of reasons. The first is that the card enclosure is pretty wide and you cannot see the card slot underneath it. I even removed all the other PCI-E cards and tried using a mirror, but still couldn't see it from above. The second is that I had assumed the old and new card used the same card slot covers. The 8800GT actually uses only one of the slots (so the first slot cover is removed) and the second one was still there. The Radeon 4870 card uses two of the slots, it has a built-in louvered slot cover that covers the second PCI-E slot opening.

So without being able to see anything underneath the card, I had been pushing down the Radeon 4870 onto the second slot cover which was still in place! Before installing the Radeon 4870, be sure that the card slot covers for both slots 1 & 2 have been removed. Now it's still difficult to line up the card, but I found that angling it slightly toward the hard drive bays helped to see the card slot and then once the card was aligned over it, straighten it and push straight down. It was a perfect fit after the second card slot cover was removed, doh!

4. Connect the power cables to the card (I actually did that before installing the card) and the other side into the power receptacles just underneath the first hard drive bay. I read that this was the hardest part for some people, but I found it quite easy to do with the computer laying on its side. Just line them up with the receptacles and push down to snap into place.

Here's what the card looks like from the outside after it's installed, note that the second slot cover (built into the 4870) is louvered to allow for increased airflow and heat dissipation. I replaced all the other slot covers to keep out dust and hopefully it will still run cool enough. User uploaded file

Thanks again for everyone's help! Now I can get back to what I love and continue working with music. As a Musician's way of saying thanks, you're welcome to listen to my latest Progressive House mix here:

http://www.mixcloud.com/DonMuzikk/

Perhaps it will brighten someone's day a bit, and if not, there's always the "off" button! 😉

May 20, 2016 8:05 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Well, it's a little under 9 months since I replaced my original graphics card with the ATI Radeon 4870. Has been working fine so far, but yesterday the computer wouldn't boot past a screen that looked like this. Then I rebooted and all was normal again. Happened again today, this time on two successive cold boots. Third time it booted normally again, and I'm using the computer now.

Before I contact the graphics card vendor about the issue, thought it might be worth getting some second opinions. I haven't run another Apple Hardware Test yet, and I recall that it required the installation CD (which I do have), but I don't believe it would detect any issue with the graphics card (if it's at fault). The vendor had told me that their failure rate on these cards was something around 3-5%, and almost all of those were within the first two weeks. They offered a warranty of "up to a year" when I had inquired about it before purchasing the card.

I'd hate to return the card and then find out it wasn't causing the problem, so any other ideas on how to diagnose this would be welcome. I safe-booted (holding down SHIFT-CMD-V) and it booted up normally. I didn't notice any critical errors in the log that appeared on screen, although if that's saved I could copy here if it might be of any help.

User uploaded file

May 21, 2016 1:23 PM in response to DonH229

Computer wouldn't boot again last night after 3 cold boot attempts. Wouldn't safe boot either, kept getting a similar screen to the one above. One time a "cross" pattern appeared in light colors against the white screen and then faded away. The other times it would show faint purple and green vertical bars against the white screen.

Tried again this morning and it booted up normally, so ran the Apple Hardware Test from Install Disc 1 and result was: "No Trouble Found." Seems that all signs point to a failing video graphics card, so I think my best bet is to contact the vendor to see if it can be exchanged.

Mac Pro Early 2008 (3,1) Won't Boot, AHT Shows "No Trouble Found"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.