Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files In Trash Unable To Be Deleted

I used the program Screenflow to record some on screen video tutorials for Mac users and such, and now I cannot seem to get rid of the files. I have successfully moved them to the trash, but I cannot empty the trash of these files. Knowing that moving something to the Trash is like moving it into a folder and not actually deleting it, I need to find a way to get rid of the files to create space on my computer. The files I am trying to delete are Screenflow files and folders with nothing in them except for an empty folder labeled "Media". Both the files and folders have the extension ".screenflow" and this may be the problem. When ever I try to empty the trash, all files except for the Screenflow ones are able to be deleted. Then a message comes up saying "'File-Name.screenflow cannot be deleted because it is in use'", and then it gives me the option of Skipping, Stopping, or Continuing. It happens with the files and the folders. Any help is appreciated.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 20, 2015 6:49 PM

5 replies

Aug 21, 2015 9:00 PM in response to Millionsunz

Then try one of these:

You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash

My Mac Won't Empty the Trash | Easy PC Tutorials

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on solving Trash issues. You can also try using Trash It! 5.1 to fix the problem. Or you can try this:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and paste the following at the prompt:

sudo rm -Rf ~/.Trash

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not echo to the screen. Press RETURN again.

(Should anyone tell you this is dangerous or unnecessary, please ignore the comment.)

Files In Trash Unable To Be Deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.