Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting started with Apple Configurator

Morning All

We have around 80 iPhone's and 90 iPad's within the Business, these are already distributed to user, most of which are rarely in the office.

As users damage handsets (typically screens), we get them back for repair and give them a spare handset which they then restore their backup onto via iTunes.

Once the original handset is repaired, this becomes the spare. We have a few spares and over time its become very difficult to reset these repaired handsets due to screen locks and find my phone being switched on.

I've been advised that Apple Configurator is the way forwards, that we can lightly touch each new device before it gets provided to a user. In the even we ever need to reset the device we then have the ability to switch off find my phone and reset the screen lock/passcode. I have a new Apple iMac here to use for this purpose and have installed the Configurator App.

Now I'm stuck. All the guides I have seen have been talking about shared app stores etc, I have no interest in that.

At the moment, all I want to do is ensure I am the main supervisor for these devices. That if they get returned I can factory reset them ready for issue to another member of Staff.

Obviously I will also have to decide how to tackle existing handsets, whether they have to be returned to be quickly 'touched'. Initially I need to deal with my loan stock and new devices coming into the Business.

Any advice, suggestions or help gratefully appreciated 🙂

P.S. We will be getting Microsoft Intune at some point in the next 6 months or so, but I'm lead to believe this will only be to help manage devices and won't offer the ability of ownership in the same way that Apple Configurator does.

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 2:30 AM

There are no replies.

Getting started with Apple Configurator

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.