Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro (2012 model) keyboard + trackpad unresponsive and high speed fan?

Hello all! So I was using my Macbook Pro (2012) model and I accidentally fell asleep. This caused my macbook to run out of battery and shut down itself, little did I know the Macbook wouldn't start up properly.

When I try to start it up it:

1. Starts up, high fan speed while booting up to login page

2. Keyboard + trackpad unresponsive so I'm unable to login

3. However, the rest of the Macbook works (I can see the time on the top menu bar updating and the battery status as well when I plug in a charger)

4. Still high fan speed

Temporary solution:

- Reboot the Macbook like up to 5 times until it finally works (when it does work there is no high fan speeds anymore)

However, when using the temporary solution sometimes the Macbook would "freeze" for a bit, freeze as in keyboard and trackpad becomes unresponsive but the rest of the Macbook works. Once this happens, the high fan speed kicks in again, until after 30 seconds it goes away and keyboard + trackpad works again.

Observations:

- When keyboard + trackpad becomes unresponsive, high fan speeds kick in (both in the starting up process and when the computer is in use)

- The problem happens when the Macbook runs out of battery or when I have too much processes going on (Overheating problem I assume?)

IMPORTANT:

- When I removed the battery and use the Macbook with the charger plugged in, everything works normally (except the laptop is slower)

So could this be a battery issue? Or an overheating issue? If you have any ideas, suggestions or solutions please reply, thanks for your time and good day!

Message was edited by: justinodunn

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Upgraded to Yosemite, still no luck

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 3:11 AM

6 replies

Aug 21, 2015 3:39 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Heya, thanks for the reply. It doesn't work because the keyboard doesn't work when starting it up (high fan speed kicks in). Also I think that when I plugin the charger and starting the Macbook up, it causes the high fan speed and keyboard+ trackpad to be unresponsive.

I just tried starting up with and without the charger, when I did it without the charger it doesn't have high fan speed sounds anymore and the keyboard + mouse works, while it is the opposite when I start up with the charger.

So could this definitely mean its a battery problem?

Aug 21, 2015 3:41 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Heya, thanks for the reply. It doesn't work because the keyboard doesn't work when starting it up (high fan speed kicks in). Also I think that when I plugin the charger and starting the Macbook up, it causes the high fan speed and keyboard+ trackpad to be unresponsive.

I just tried starting up with and without the charger, when I did it without the charger it doesn't have high fan speed sounds anymore and the keyboard + mouse works, while it is the opposite when I start up with the charger.

So could this definitely mean its a battery problem?

Macbook Pro (2012 model) keyboard + trackpad unresponsive and high speed fan?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.