Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

battery health dropped after few cycles

Problem with this refurbished iPhone 5s I got last month, which has now 27 cycles and already a 1400 mAh max capacity compared to the initial 1500, according to both coconutBattery (Mac app) and Battery Doc (iOS app). So it was below standard specifics (1550 mAh is the design capacity) to begin with, and it is getting worse already.

I got this replacement at the local Apple Store. The policy seems to be to give away refurbished phones instead of simply repairing the part even when it's an easy task. Old phone's battery was just PERFECT, max capacity still after 250+ cycles- only the receiver/ear speaker needed to be replaced (or maybe just cleaned!) as it sounded muffled and too low. I knew I could be walking into this, and it is really annoying.

New phone lasts around 15-20% less than the previous one, which with my light-medium usage means having to carry around a charger to make it to the end of the day.

Bugs me to no end.

Anyway, back to 1400 mAh after 27 cycles: I think it is not normal and I will ask for a replacement.

Thoughts?

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 3:45 AM

3 replies

Aug 24, 2015 12:08 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Hello and thanks for your reply.

I will definitely go to an Apple Store. I am afraid they'll tell me "batteries are guaranteed to retain 80% capacity after 500 cycles" or something like that, and they won't replace the phone.

These facts remain:

• the previous phone could easily last through the entire day, usually with a 10-15% battery left as it was time for bed
  • this one systematically dies around dinner time, which means about an hour of usage and two-three hours of standby
  • I haven't changed my charging or using habits
  • it just so happens that doing the math 1400 is 1550 minus 10%

Those apps may as well not be accurate, but their reading reflects exactly what's happening.

BRAND NEW batteries should have a BRAND NEW capacity and stamina, and if it isn't the case, then it's POOR QUALITY CONTROL and a company like Apple should take care of their customers.

We'll see!

Aug 31, 2015 3:45 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Update: took the phone to the Apple Store, where they ran the diagnostics without finding out any problem except I saw in a cycles/capacity graph that comes up in one of their diagnostic screens that the battery was indeed at around 90% SOH (State Of Health).

They essentially told me nothing was really wrong with the phone, but I absolutely refused to keep it, and I insisited I wanted a new replacement.

They were kind enough to proceed with another substitution, and guess what? Have used the new phone for a week now and the battery just WORKS. SOH reading is sometimes 1500, sometimes 1600 in those apps. It does fluctuate, but it indicates that the battery is pretty much at full capacity.

One thing I noticed is the previous replacement had a manufacture date of late 2013 (practically upon lunch) while this new replacement was manufactured August 2015, just now basically.

To anyone who experiences battery issues with replacement units, don't settle with them just because they are 'brand new' and they should not have problems.

Cheers!

battery health dropped after few cycles

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.