Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Login problem with Messages app

The Messages app has recently been showing everything as offline and now will no longer let me log in at all to use iMessages. I am running OS X 10.9.5 on a MacBook Air and was able to use the application perfectly fine until it stopped working a few days ago. I've tried restarting my laptop a few times and repaired the Hard Drive, which needed to be done after running a check on the disk.

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 8:35 AM

8 replies

Aug 21, 2015 1:37 PM in response to AtomicHorse

Hi,

Can you see a Sign Out button ?

If you can and you use this, then close (Quit) the app and restart it can you log in then ?

If that does not work open the Keychain Access App in Applications/Utilities and Repair the Keychain (App Menu)

User uploaded file

9:37 p.m. Friday; August 21, 2015

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (Mavericks 10.9)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 Couple of iPhones and an iPad

Oct 8, 2015 6:01 AM in response to Ralph-Johns-UK

Hi- I am having the same problem. All of a sudden I can't use the Message feature on my MacBook Pro O S X 10.9.5. All of my contacts are offline. There is no way to sign out. "Log in" is greyed out. I read this thread and opened the "Keychain Access" from the Utlities, but I can't figure out how to repair it.

I appreciate any help anyone can give.

Oct 8, 2015 7:09 AM in response to AugieB

More detail about my previous post, I quit Messages and when I went back into it, was asked to sign in. This time the password was accepted, but I can't access the two boxes to check my cellphone number and my me.com address. At this point I get the "registering device doesn't have appropriate credentials" again.

Oct 8, 2015 1:10 PM in response to funnyrunner93

Hi,

When the App is open the app's name is a drop down menu like all apps.

The Preferences is the item you want to start with.

Check the First Aid option there so that the Mac User's Login password synchronises with opening the Login keychain.

In the same App Menu is the actual First Aid Option.

This allows you to Verify and also Repair the Keychain.

User uploaded file

9:10 p.m. Thursday; October 8, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Oct 8, 2015 1:13 PM in response to AugieB

Hi,

Are you using 2 Step Verification ?

Did you reset or at least set a password in El Capitan for Messages ?

There seems to be a possibility the OS is regarded almost like a different computer. ( A bit like when you have several drives or partition on one computer to run older versions of the OS and iTunes says you have exceeded the 5 computer limit).

User uploaded file

9:13 p.m. Thursday; October 8, 2015

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),

Login problem with Messages app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.