Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with microphone level

Hey! I am trying to add vocals to some tracks I've recorded with Garageband. I plug my interface into my mac, open garage band, the levels through the mic sound great until I press record, then it drops to about half of what it was and stays that way. If I unplug the interface and try and again it works for a little bit, same happens if I restart the computer. I have to turn the volume up too 100% on the interface and even then the signal is quite weak with a loud hiss. What am I doing wrong? So frustrating!

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 12:26 PM

10 replies

Aug 23, 2015 9:02 PM in response to RealVileLev

First of all, you have to post what type of interface you are using.

What kind of trouble shooing did you do so far. Here are just a few steps.

• Is this level drop only happen to the microphone input of your audio interface or also to the line inputs when you connect a guitar or synth?
  • Do you have a different microphone to test with?
  • Did you try the built-in Mic on your mac (does your MacPro has one) to compare or do you have access to a different audio interface to make sure if GarageBand is the problem.
  • Did you check if you have the proper driver for your audio interface. Did you update your OSX system lately/

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Aug 24, 2015 1:50 PM in response to EdgarRothermich

Thanks Edgar!

My interface is a Alesis io|2. I'm afraid I don't have another microphone to test with at this time. The microphone built in to my mac works absolutely fine with no volume drops, the same can be said about any guitar I connect through the interface. I haven't updated my OSX recently. I'm not sure how to check if my driver is correct? If it works with guitars I presume it is?

Thanks!

Help with microphone level

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.