Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since upgrading to Yosemite Time Machine no longer notifies me to back up. I have called Apple innumerable times on this issue and have sent them data from my computer that they asked for. That was at least 6-8 months ago. Still no fix.

Greetings

I have been a loyal Apple user since 1985 and I have to say that most of the time Apple does a knock down job addressing issues. This time however I think someone has dropped the ball. Since upgrading to yosemite Time Machine no longer reminds me to back up and although I have contacted Apple many many times about this issue and a promise of a solution is given still since Yosemites release Time Machine does not remind me of back ups. It also is the same for my brother and friend who both have macs running Yosemite? Are you every going to address/fix this issue Apple? Usually you are great about these things so I cannot complain. I love Yosemite and my iMac but I hope you fix it soon. Does the 10.10.5 update address that? Thanks

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 2:13 PM

15 replies

Aug 21, 2015 2:26 PM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that is true if you always have it connected but for years after I run a back up I remove it to another location because if my computer is stolen or I have a fire I will still have a full system back up that I can restore. Time Machine about every 2-3 weeks Kappy when my external drive was disconnected (stored elsewhere) would remind me automatically to back up. Once I upgraded to Yosemite it no longer does this even though Apple says it is still supposed to. Thanks

Aug 21, 2015 2:48 PM in response to poetman

Might I suggest rethinking your backup strategy. You can use a free utility like TimeMachineEditor 4.2.1 to configure a different backup time period. Get a second drive equal in size to your Time Machine drive. Periodically, like once per week or per month, use Disk Utility to make a clone of the Time Machine drive to this second drive. Then store the clone in your "safe location." If that isn't off-premises, then get a fire-proof safe for storage.

You can never have too many backups.

Clone using Restore Option of Disk Utility

1. Open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag

it to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the second backup drive. Source means the Time Machine backup drive.

I would go one step further. Use a third drive to make a bootable clone of your computer's startup drive. Then use third-party backup software to make incremental updates to that clone.

Clone Yosemite, Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion using Restore Option of Disk Utility

Boot to the Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND and R keys until the menu screen appears. Alternatively, restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the OPTION key until the boot manager screen appears. Select the Recovery HD and click on the downward pointing arrow button.

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu then press the Continue

button.

2. Select the destination volume from the left side list.

3. Click on the Restore tab in the DU main window.

4. Select the destination volume from the left side list and drag it

to the Destination entry field.

5. Select the source volume from the left side list and drag it to

the Source entry field.

6. Double-check you got it right, then click on the Restore button.

Destination means the external backup drive. Source means the internal startup drive.

Suggested Backup Software

1. Carbon Copy Cloner

2. Get Backup

3. Deja Vu

4. SuperDuper!

5. Synk Pro

6. Tri-Backup

Others may be found at MacUpdate.

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on backup and restore. Also read How to Back Up and Restore Your Files.

Aug 21, 2015 5:15 PM in response to Eau Rouge

Greetings Eau

Thanks for your reply. Sure i realize I am not speaking to anyone from Apple but there are a lot of savvy people out there like the post just before yours. To answer you last question yes, I do need to be reminded to back up. Unfortunately my memory is not as sharp as it used to be. I don't like to think of it as old age just maturing. Your mind must still be pretty sharp but get to my age and being in a lot of pain and forgetting is commonplace! LOL Take care:O)

Aug 22, 2015 12:19 AM in response to Kappy

Hi Kappy

You are most ki I can tell you are a wiz when it comes to computers. You suggestions are foolproof and excellent. The only problem i am faced with is that I am on a fixed income so I really can't go out and buy new drives. Possibly one in the future. Question for you. I thought I could restore my whole system from the external drive running time Machine if something happened to my computer. Am i right on that or am I wrong. Also, I want to keep it as simple as possible.

Thanks so much, Neil

Aug 22, 2015 3:07 PM in response to poetman

poetman wrote:

Hi Kappy

Thanks for your reply. Yes, that is true if you always have it connected but for years after I run a back up I remove it to another location because if my computer is stolen or I have a fire I will still have a full system back up that I can restore. Time Machine about every 2-3 weeks Kappy when my external drive was disconnected (stored elsewhere) would remind me automatically to back up. Once I upgraded to Yosemite it no longer does this even though Apple says it is still supposed to. Thanks

As I understand it Yosemite will create time machine backups (what changed) on your hard drive when your time machine drive is not connected - and when you connect it it will transfer them to the backup about the only time it would possibly warn you is if the hard drive is getting full.

One option for you would be to either backup your User Library or your full system once a week. I have time machine on one drive - and I have a WD passport that will currently fit 3 backups of my User Library -- pictures etc.

Aug 24, 2015 4:49 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root wrote:

The local snapshot are only for portables.

Local Snapshots on Portable Macs

From Apples on-line documentation

Local snapshots complement regular Time Machine backups that are stored on your external disk or Time Capsule by creating a local backup on your startup disk when your normal backup drive is not available. This provides you with a "safety net" for times when you might be away from your external backup disk or Time Capsule but accidentally delete a file. When your normal backup is available again, Time Machine copies the local snapshot contents from your startup disk to your normal backup drive.

On Mac notebook computers, local snapshots are automatically enabled when you turn on Time Machine.A single daily snapshot is saved for every 24 hours, counting from the time you start or restart your computer. Similarly, a single weekly snapshot is saved for one week. If you want Time Machine to stop saving local snapshots, open Time Machine preferences and slide the switch to Off. Snapshots resume when you turn Time Machine back on.

Note: The Time Machine status in the menu bar does not change when a local snapshot is created or modified.

Since upgrading to Yosemite Time Machine no longer notifies me to back up. I have called Apple innumerable times on this issue and have sent them data from my computer that they asked for. That was at least 6-8 months ago. Still no fix.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.