Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage not working with wifi calling

When using wifi calling, iMessages won't send. They will try, then fail, then revert to text messages.

I'm using an iPhone 5S, up-to-date iOS 8, and T-Mobile. I have the option enabled to send as text if iMessage fails. My office is below ground level so cell signal is weak and cuts out, hence I use wifi calling. iMessages send perfectly when I'm not at work (I think it even works in similarly weak cell signal above ground when I'm using wifi calling).

I believe this bug hurts battery (at the very least, it tries to send the iMessage for 30 seconds before alerting me that the message failed (turns on screen and alert), only to successfully send it as an SMS afterward), besides annoyances such as delayed sending of messages.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 2:47 PM

3 replies

Aug 23, 2015 10:51 AM in response to Jmh010

Hi Jmh010,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it sounds like iMessage is not sending while at work, but works everywhere else. iMessage should work when you’re connected to a cellular data or Wi-Fi network. I would recommend that you read this article, it may be able to help the issue.

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Cheers

Dec 1, 2015 7:35 AM in response to mario49

That's not what he stated at all. He said that iMessages will not send with wifi calling enabled. I have the same problem. To restate: with wifi calling enabled, iMessages will not send a message. It will not complete. You have to select it and send as SMS for it to go through. This does not happen when wifi calling is disabled. He needs wifi calling enabled because he doesn't get service where his desk is.

The only solution that works for me is to disable iMessages and just use SMS when wifi calling is enabled.

iMessage not working with wifi calling

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.