Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I 'cut' the photos from my iphoto by mistake

Hi
I was just about to make a backup of my pictures on iphoto so I selected the whole library (10,000+ pictures) and hit cmd + X instead of C for copy.

Is there any way I can retrieve them? They arent appearing in my trash in iphoto nor in my trash bin on the desktop.

Help would be much appreciated!!!!!! thank you

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 2:25 PM

10 replies

Aug 21, 2015 2:32 PM in response to iphone4ipadmacuser

Look in the iPhoto Trash Bin in the sidebar. If you haven't empties it yes they should still be in there. Select them and drag onto the Event icon at the top of the sidebar to move them back into their original Events.

OR select all of the photos in the Trash bin, Control (right) - click on one and select Put Back from the contextual menu:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Aug 21, 2015 3:09 PM in response to iphone4ipadmacuser

Open the iPhoto Library with the Finder as shown below

User uploaded file

and look inside the Masters folder to see if its subfolders contain the original image files. Do not make any changes while inside the package.

If it does try the following first:

Using iPhoto Library Manager to Rebuild Your iPhoto Library

1 - download iPhoto Library Manager and launch.>Click on the Add Library button,

User uploaded file

2 - select the library you want to add from those in the selection window.

3 - make sure that in the rebuild window the checkbox "Scavange orphaned photos" is checked.

User uploaded file

4 - now that the library is listed in the left hand pane of iPLM, click on your library and go to the Library ➙ Rebuild Library menu option

User uploaded file

5 - in the next window name the new library and select the location you want it to be placed. Click on the Create button.

Note 1: This creates a new library based on the LIbraryData.xml file in the library and will recover Events, Albums, keywords, titles and comments. However, books, calendars, cards and slideshows will be lost.

Note 2: Your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

If that fails, move the Master folder to the Desktop, launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and create a new library. Then drag the subfolder from the Masters folder into the new iPhoto library window a few at a time. Once all of the photos have been imported into the new library and verified you can delete the old library package and the Masters folder.

You should seriously consider implementing a backup strategy ASAP. The easiest is to get an external HD about 2.5 times the size of the drive(s) you're backing up and use Time Machine.

I 'cut' the photos from my iphoto by mistake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.