Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

high quality audio input to macbook, pro and mini?

I need to replace my current MacBook Pro.

Do any of the current 2015 models of MacBook, MacbookPro, iMac or Mac Pro have a decent quality analog input ( perhaps via the headphone jack as on earlier MacBook Pros)?

Some model descriptions mention earphone microphone support.

Can this be used for other audio input - for example to feed a live instrument to garageband or to digitize old analog tape?

The current Mini has an input jack and I suppose a decent ADC, but none of the others appear to have retained the functionality of earlier models.

Thanks,

rhminor

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 7:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2015 10:19 AM

Only the Mac Pro has a combined audio in/out socket, to the best of my knowledge.

And yes, it ***** that Apple chose to remove the audio input. (They've been gone for a while)

I don't care why they did, (there are no reasons/apple talk I will accept) should anyone care to argue for Apples corner... it still *****..

If you want audio in, you'll have to use an interface. If you need help there, let me know your audio intentions...

<Edited By Host>

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 24, 2015 10:19 AM in response to rhminor

Only the Mac Pro has a combined audio in/out socket, to the best of my knowledge.

And yes, it ***** that Apple chose to remove the audio input. (They've been gone for a while)

I don't care why they did, (there are no reasons/apple talk I will accept) should anyone care to argue for Apples corner... it still *****..

If you want audio in, you'll have to use an interface. If you need help there, let me know your audio intentions...

<Edited By Host>

Sep 4, 2015 12:39 PM in response to rhminor

Hello rhminor,

Have you used audio recording software before? If yes, which, and did you like it?

Depending on what your recod player outputs are will depend on what to recommend.

for example, you may have a decent amp with a line out, or a mixer. There are small record player preamps with USB output, but they may be limiting if you want to pursue other recording adventures.

$250 isn't much but it will get you something to do the basics very well.

fill me in...

Sep 4, 2015 12:48 PM in response to cheekypaul

Thanks,

I have used garageband, quicktime, audiocorder osx, etc. My system includes a thorens td124 with Shure 78 and lp styli, parasound electronics including line out, and a pair of Klipschorns...

I am trying to digitize some original 78 acetate recordings made by family members in the 1940's and some highquality cassette recordings made in the

1970's.

My existing MacBook Pro does still have a functioning adc, but I would like to move on to a newer laptop and will need to add ADC functionality.

A bonus would be a good DAC to deal with FLAC files etc..

thanks again, your recommendation is appreciated,

Bob

Sep 16, 2015 2:43 PM in response to rhminor

I have used garageband, quicktime, audiocorderosx, etc. My system includes a thorens td124 with Shure 78 and lp styli, parasound electronics including line out, and a pair of Klipschorns...

I am trying to digitize some original 78 acetate recordings made by family members in the 1940's and some highquality cassette recordings made in the

1970's.

A bonus would be a good DAC to deal with FLAC files etc..

Bob,

You have many choices. here are a few...

PRESONUS

AVID

SAMASH STUFF

You can take the LINE OUT of the cassette machine directly into any of the above that have LINE IN inputs. The vinyl, similar, but it will go via your pre-amp.

You can record via almost any piece of audio software. Including GarageBand (and edit your tracks there, or trim them) It is best to record at 24bit, using either AIFF, or WAV. AIFF can hold a lot of useful metadata, so you can add a pic of the album, the writers, etc. WAV will too but it's not very robust and doesn't travel well from software to software, and is not read by iTunes.

FLAC files can be made from the master recordings by converting the 24bit files when you've trimmed them. Use XLD, or buy FISSION for that.

If you want to denoise stuff use THIS GUY, but be careful, make a copy of your recordings and practice on the copies. Denoising/Declicking is very easily over done. Do this before editing, leave the noise at the beginning and end of the recording, you'll 'play' this to the denoiser, it learns the noise and tries to only reduce noise based on the noise clip you 'play' it.

Cool?

high quality audio input to macbook, pro and mini?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.