Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I found a lost ipad but the original owner could not be found, can I still use the ipad?

I found a lost ipad and was told by the rep at my local Mac Store that they have no way of locating the original owner so that I can return it to them. First question: is there a way to locate the original owner so that I can return their ipad to them.

Second question: if there is no way to return the ipad to the original owner, can the ipad still be used by a new owner?

iPad, iOS 8.4

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 9:25 PM

2 replies

Aug 21, 2015 9:30 PM in response to MDCaseCO

The right thing to do is to turn it into the police or the lost and found of the place you found it if there is one. The owner is probably logged in with their Apple ID. Only the owner can deactivate this login. Without the device being freed from the owners Apple ID it is essentially an expensive paperweight to anyone other than the owner. There is nothing you can do with it.

If I found a lost ipad but the original owner could not be found, can I still use the ipad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.