Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

eMac won't boot up.

I just bought an eMac on craigslist. I pressed the power button and I hear the fans turn on. I press and hold until I hear the mac chime and the light in the front light up. I then get the apple logo with the spinning thing under it. This screen doesn't stop. It keeps spinning for long amounts of time. I tried to do an FSCK on it. However, when I get to the screen it wont let me type. The chime also adjusts its volume when it powers on. I reset the PRAM because I always do that when I buy a computer. Any other ideas? I can replace the hard drive if thats the problem. Thanks.

User uploaded file

eMac-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.4.8), Not sure what OS. Just guessing.

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 9:05 PM

23 replies

Aug 22, 2015 10:06 AM in response to Foxy754

Dear Foxy,

The first thing to check is the serial number. Many later-model eMacs with 1.0 and 1.25 Ghz processors had a fatal logic board problem whsoe repair program has long since expited. There is little chance of getting it working if yours falls in these serial number ranges:

• G8412xxxxxx- G8520xxxxxx
  • YM412xxxxxx - YM520xxxxxx
  • VM440xxxxxx - VM516xxxxxx

You can find your serial number and, more importantly, the exact model, using this article:

eMac: How to locate the serial number and identify your model - Apple Support

If yours is not among the ones with the fatal logic board problem, our knowing your model may help us figure if your has a user-servicealble issue that can get you going again.

Be prepared to return the computer to seller if it shows up in the range of bad serial numbers; the majority of those in those ranges seem to have failed and there is no practical fix available today,

We have two eMacs: one of the first models, a 700mHz model running OS 10.4.11; and one of the last, a 1.42Ghz running 10.5.8. The later is still a capable computer if you don't need the latest and greatest software.

Aug 22, 2015 10:23 AM in response to BDAqua

I looked on to bottom (instinctively) and found the model number so I don't even need the serial number. The model number is A1002, which is not under the recall. Its either the 700MHz or 800MHz. I have taken apart a few old iMacs and am not afraid to take this one apart. I bought it for my collection, I would just like to be able to use it. Will a hard drive replacement help? The seller didn't include the power cable that came with it. I can email them and get it, however, I have a few PC power cables laying around of you think they will work. Thats what I had plugged into it last night.

Aug 22, 2015 10:56 AM in response to Foxy754

Power cable shouldn't matter if it fits.

Drive replacement should work, the problem appears to be that the drive has slipped into Read Only, could likely be fixed with a FW cable & booting into Firewire Target Mode.

eMacs are not only more dangerous to work on, they're way harder than iMacs... so be careful. 🙂

Aug 23, 2015 2:54 PM in response to BDAqua

Okay. I went to a local store and they didn't have a Firewire 400 to a Firewire 400. That is what I'm looking for right? I am looking to boot it off of my iMac 4G. I have decided to collect old apple computers off of craigslist. It is currently having some problems but I am looking into fixing them. (You can read about it to get the specs here... Re: When iMac G4 Boots up everything loads then I get a blue screen)

Sep 22, 2015 8:17 PM in response to BDAqua

I installed OS X 10.4.0 on a hard drive, then I went in and replaced the hard drive. I resembled it, and then tried to power on. I get 4 beeps. Then I get nothingness. The screen won't turn on. The light is constantly on until I hold the power button. It will then flash 3 times and turn off. I do not get the mac start up chime and the CRT does not light up.

Sep 23, 2015 9:43 AM in response to Foxy754

Older meanings...

1 beep = no RAM installed

2 beeps = incompatible RAM types

3 beeps = no good banks

4 beeps = no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block)

5 beeps = processor is not usable

In addition to the beeps, on some computers the power LED will flash a corresponding number of times plus one. The LED will repeat the sequence after approximately a 5-second pause. The tones are only played once.

Note: In this case, a flash is considered to be 1/4 second or 250 ms or greater in length.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1547

eMac won't boot up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.