Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can not reinstall iTunes, Errror HResult 080073715

Running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. I need to re-install iTunes, version 12.0 , but keep getting the same message:
Microsoft VC80CRT, type = "win32, version 8.0.5072706195" public key - 1fc8b309a1e18e3b Refer
to Help and Support for more info HResult 080073715.

Note that I have tried several times and had to uninstall all associated programs, which I did in the following order:
iTunes; QuickTime; Apple Software Update; Apple Mobile device support; Bonjour and Apple Application Support.

I also deleted any associated files and folders related to the above programs. Tried to re-install and no luck with or
without restarts.

I have been trying for two days. Please advice and/or provide simple steps for a resolution.,

Thank you,
Ed

iPhone 5c, iOS 8.4.1, Windows 10 64-bit desktop

Posted on Aug 21, 2015 10:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2015 4:15 PM

The message "An error occurred during installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT, type="win32", version="8.0.50727.6195", publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b", processorArchitrcture=..." may occur because a particular library file is not included in the distribution package supplied with iTunes. Installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update before attempting to reinstall iTunes may help.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version, or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues, or for compatibility with QuickTime or third party software on 64-bit systems.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2015 4:15 PM in response to Ed Meza

The message "An error occurred during installation of assembly 'Microsoft.VC80.CRT, type="win32", version="8.0.50727.6195", publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b", processorArchitrcture=..." may occur because a particular library file is not included in the distribution package supplied with iTunes. Installing the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Service Pack 1 Redistributable Package MFC Security Update before attempting to reinstall iTunes may help.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version, or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for performance issues, or for compatibility with QuickTime or third party software on 64-bit systems.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

Your library should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice elsewhere in the user tip.

tt2

Aug 22, 2015 5:01 PM in response to turingtest2

Thank you for your response. Followed all the steps you recommended, including removal of folders in hard disk C. (except the removal of QuickTime -- which was not shown on your list). Installation of iTunes version 12.0 failed again with the same error message. When cancelling the installation, a window popped up showing the following message: "Apple Mobile Device Service failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services." (The only thing I remember is that my Use ID and password were changed on my computer to use a "Microsoft account during Windows 10 installation." Yet, my iPhone asked me to re-enter them, which I did.) Note that my iPhone was disconnected from my computer.
I cannot understand why is so difficult to reinstall ITunes in Windows 10. Do I need to uninstall QuickTime? I had tried an earlier version of iTunes and it did not work either.
Frustrated and at a loss on this issue. Thanks again.

Aug 27, 2015 6:47 PM in response to turingtest2

I have also tried uninstalling QuickTime along with all other components. No go. Same errors.
The link you provided for Microsoft Visual C++2005 Service Pack 1....was installed, but it didn't seem to help either.
Note that iTunes worked great with Win 7. Win 10 just does not allow me (i.e., need sufficient privileges to start system

services, and more silly criteria.)
Guess I will forget iTunes. Thanks for your help.

Sep 4, 2015 3:37 PM in response to Ed Meza

Ed Meza wrote:

The link you provided for Microsoft Visual C++2005 Service Pack 1....was installed, but it didn't seem to help either.

That's a shame. It seems to have helped some others with the same issue. 😕

I built a clean Windows 10 box for testing the other day and iTunes installed smoothly without. Obviously it ought to install properly for everyone, but I wonder if issues are more likely on upgraded systems.

You could try installing again using the method in the post Re: Can't install iTunes 12.1 on Windows 7 64-bit which generates log files for each component of the iTunes installer. Perhaps something in there will give a clue as to why it fails on your system.

tt2

Sep 4, 2015 4:19 PM in response to turingtest2

Hi Turingtest2: Thank you. Here is the latest regarding this thread:
I received a Windows Update -- out of nowhere, that installed Microsoft Visual C ++ 2010 X64 and x86 Redistributable, and 2010 Tools for Office Runtime (64). This is what I did:

1) Downloaded and re-installed iTunes. It completed with "some errors", recommending that I try the "download only from "Tools." I can't find "Tools" in iTunes. However, iTunes appears to be working correctly. I also had an update for iTunes v. 12.2.2.25 that worked fine.

2) QuickTime was also installed and updated.
3) iPhone was synced.

Thus, I only have a couple of questions:
1) Should I just let it run as is? I have no unusual behavior in iTunes -- other than the one mentioned above about "errors" during the iTunes installation.

2) I opted not to install the Cloud for Apple. ( I have this disabled on my computer because of OneDrive.) This may be a separate thread, but I need some help regarding this issue, specifically whether there is duplication in the photos, or whether or not I can uninstall iCloud from my iPhone. Can I have both "Apple Cloud" and "Microsoft OneDrive" on my desktop computer and on my iPhone? If someone send me photos to the Cloud, will they go to One Cloud or OneDrive. Sorry, I am new with OneDrive, thus my trivial questions.

Once again, thanks so much for your support and patience.

Ed

Sep 4, 2015 5:03 PM in response to Ed Meza

Good news. 🙂

1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    You can always reinstall if you find a problem, but the next build may not be far away.
  2. The iCloud Control Panel can be used to download photos and short videos that you take on your iOS devices. It can also sync some other data like your web bookmarks. If you don't need there is no need to install it. There isn't anything to remove from the device. There should be a link in the user tip if you change your mind later.

tt2

Can not reinstall iTunes, Errror HResult 080073715

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.