Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to move ssd from old macbook to new imac

Hey folks,

I have a question for all of you. I have a late '08 macbook and a newsed mid 2011 iMac. The '08 has an ssd I threw in there to try and eek the last days of life out of it, but it wasn't enough, hence the iMac, which appears to be much faster. I'm a cheap guy and I buy Apple products. There's your first clue.

Anyway, I am wondering about the best way to move the 250gb SSD into the hidden second spot in my iMac, and use that drive for booting and apps. Software wise, not hardware-wise, as I'm pretty sure I can handle the hardware part.

What should I do?

If I just drop the SSD in the iMac, what will happen? Will it show up as a bootable disk? Will the iMac run off it if I choose to boot off it?

If it shows up as a disk that must be initialized, what's the best way to make the SSD my boot/apps disk? Can I just drag and drop apps over to it?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 2.8 GHz Intel i7 20GB 1333 MHz DDR3

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 6:50 AM

There are no replies.

Best way to move ssd from old macbook to new imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.