Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to record aux midi tracks as audio tracks in Logic Pro X

I have recorded some Aux tracks from BFD and they play fine as midi tracks but I cannot figure out how to now record them as audio files.

I have BFD set up with mulltiple outputs, and these are assigned to 6 aux tracks, I have successfully recorded separate drum kit tracks using these aux tracks, but can't bounce them or export them.

I think I am missing an interim action, and wonder what this is?

Can any one help?

Barry

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 8:01 AM

5 replies

Aug 24, 2015 8:49 AM in response to BenB

Hi

Ok, here is the situation. I have BFD, FXpansion drum software, which is set up so I can record a number of software audio tracks. It is possible to set up BFD to have 8 or more auxiliary tracks which can then be allocated to buses on individual Logic Pro sofware audio tracks. I have recorded about 5 or 6 these tracks from the drum software, snare, some kick parts, some cymbals, etc. These are lined up as separate software audio tracks and I can see the midi notes which read the software and produce the sounds ok. It is like having a drum orchestral part with all the individual drum kit units on separate tracks.

I can hear the drum parts being played back alongside my vocal and guitar ordinary audio tracks.

However, I can't figure out how to save the software audio track to disc as a bounce or exported track. Mp3 or wav would be fine. I can mute all tracks and isolate just one of the midi tracks, for example. I can try to bounce or export the track, but when I listen to it, it is silent, and a very small file size.

My guess is that I am doing something wrong in the process of recording. I would like to record these drum parts as midi parts as it is then possible to manipulate and correct any parts out of time, before bouncing the tracks to import as standard audio files. But I can't get that far.

Any suggestions where I am going wrong?

Barry

Aug 24, 2015 11:26 AM in response to barryachintya

Note: There is no such thing as a Software Audio track....

There is a Software Instrument track.... or an Audio track.....

Software Instrument track's are used to record Midi data sent to a Software Instrument Plugin.... or to playback pre-recorded midi files that is then sent midi data to Software Instrument plugins.

Audio tracks are used to record Audio signals from an external device or Mic... or to playback pre-recorded audio files such as Apple Loops or wave files..

As to your specific issue, it may be related tp how BFD works or how you have set things up but as I am not a BFD user I cannot assist further...

BenB: BFD = http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=205

Nov 24, 2015 2:06 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

if I'm understanding this correctly.... you want to print your BFD tracks to actual audio tracks for further mixing? if so you need to set your BFD instance to multi output, within logics mixer, the BFD instrument channel will have a small PLUS and MINUS button next to the solo button, press the plus button to create additional mixer tracks for your instruments output. go into BFD and assign each drum to one of those outputs you just created. now in logic, assign each one of those instrument tracks to a new AUX track, each drum goes to its own instrument track, then output of that set to an aux for each drum. now create the same amount of normal audio tracks. assign the inputs of those new TRACKS to the output of the AUXES you created. so midi instrument > midi channel output tracks > aux> audio track. arm the track and hit record and your midi instrument will record to real audio tracks.

theres many ways to do this, another way is after you create the auxes, select them all in the mixer and under edit, hit "create tracks for selected objects" then put a blank region at the start of the tracks you just created, then choose export all tracks as audio files (be sure to name your tracks) then your auxes will be printed as audio so long as you have a dummy region at the start of the session

How to record aux midi tracks as audio tracks in Logic Pro X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.