Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 freeze and crash

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) - 2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 - HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB -

Since update and installation 4 days ago:

One incident of failed sleep where processes continued running while cover was closed

Three incidents of cursor freezes followed by shutdown and restart with no error message or report to send to Apple.

I have had this MacBook for almost 3 years and this is extremely unusual.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iCloud connected

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 8:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 9:32 AM

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2015 9:32 AM in response to prunetree

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Aug 22, 2015 10:22 AM in response to prunetree

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It makes no changes to your data.

Please triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

syslog -k Sender kernel -k Message CSeq 'n Cause: -' | tail | awk '/:/{$4=""; print}' | pbcopy

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad. Click Utilities, then Terminal in the icon grid.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing the key combination command-V. I've tested these instructions only with the Safari web browser. If you use another browser, you may have to press the return key after pasting.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear below what you entered.

The output of the command will be automatically copied to the Clipboard. If the command produced no output, the Clipboard will be empty. Paste into a reply to this message.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

Aug 22, 2015 10:10 PM in response to prunetree

A negative shutdown code may indicate a hardware problem. The precise meaning of the codes is not publicly documented.

If you haven't already done so, you can try resetting the System Management Controller. Otherwise, or if the reset has no effect, see below.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider. You may have to leave the machine there for several days.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Aug 30, 2015 8:11 AM in response to prunetree

I also experienced frequent crashes. The computer just died. No warning, nothing. Just dead. Usually it took a few attempt to start it before it came up again properly.

It could crash almost anytime. When I was browsing using Firefox, detaching the power cable, you name it.

This came almost instantly after I installed the 10.10.5 combo update.

I didn't install any additional software, just updated to 10.10.5.

I ran 10.10.4 before, and it never crashed.

I got tired of the crashes, and restored an 10.10.4 imagebackup.

Apple, you had better look into this. Something causes 10.10.5 to crash frequently.

(I'm running MacBook Pro 17 inch, early 2011, 2.2GHz Intel Core i7 + 8GB RAM)

Aug 30, 2015 9:40 AM in response to parmark

I did get my issues on my MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012) resolved.

I followed the advice of Linc Davis above and ended up at the Genius bar.

I wiped my drive clean and had them install 10.10.5.

I thought there should be no difference if I installed, or, they installed the OS. But for some reason their installation, after conducting their extensive hardware tests did resolve many issues including nagging sleep, over-heating and fan over-working issues that kept getting worse over this last year.

Could it be that their testing also updates the firmware of different components as it's running?

Anyway, all issues now resolved.

Aug 30, 2015 12:09 PM in response to prunetree

Thank for your response, prunetree.

Well, I never had any problem with the hardware. It worked perfectly normal, except occasionally, usually without a warning, the computer just died. Just like I had done a superfast shutdown. Instantly black screen and CPU stopped.

It seems our problems are different.

I'm happy to hear that your computer works fine now.

In my case reverting back to 10.10.4 resolved my issue. It feels a waste of time and money to pay Apple for making 10.10.5 work for me, when I can settle for 10.10.4. But thanks for the advice.

Unless Apple decides to release 1 10.10.6 version (which I do not expect them to), I will just wait for the El Capitan 10.11, probably to be released in October.

Btw, should you need to do a clean install in the future, here is how (works for Yosemite too): http://www.macworld.com/article/2056561/how-to-make-a-bootable-mavericks-install -drive.html

Sep 2, 2015 12:59 PM in response to prunetree

My mac had something similar. Mine would stop halfway after I entered my password. I tried everything under the sun and only an Internet recovery to reinstall the OS worked. However, it would hang back after a restart. I read about 10.10.5 OS X combo update and I installed that the next time and voila - problem was gone.

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 freeze and crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.