Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help to Delete OS X from Application Menu

I am running OS X 10.10.5 on a Mac Mini. In my Applications folder in Finder, there is an application listed "OS X Mavericks", Date: Jan. 24, 1984 12:00AM, Kind: Document. There is a progress bar in the "Size" column showing partial completion of something. When I try to move this item to Trash, I receive a message "Some of the items you are moving are in use by other applications. Moving the items can cause problems ....." It seems that this should not be needed ... can it be deleted ? If so, what is the right way ? (I have found other posts that suggest deleting it from the Launchpad, but I don't see any "OS X Mavericks" icons in Launchpad).

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 3:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 3:46 PM

Sounds like an incomplete download. Look in Safari's download history. If it's still listed there, then click on the "x" to kill it. Then try removing the file.

See: You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash and My Mac Won't Empty the Trash | Easy PC Tutorials.

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on solving Trash issues. You can also try using Trash It! 5.1 to fix the problem. Or you can try this:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and paste the following at the prompt:

sudo rm -Rf ~/.Trash

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not echo to the screen. Press RETURN again.

(Should anyone tell you this is dangerous or unnecessary, please ignore the comment.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 22, 2015 3:46 PM in response to sjsherratt

Sounds like an incomplete download. Look in Safari's download history. If it's still listed there, then click on the "x" to kill it. Then try removing the file.

See: You can't empty the Trash or move a file to the Trash and My Mac Won't Empty the Trash | Easy PC Tutorials.

Visit The XLab FAQs and read the FAQ on solving Trash issues. You can also try using Trash It! 5.1 to fix the problem. Or you can try this:

Open the Terminal in the Utilities folder and paste the following at the prompt:

sudo rm -Rf ~/.Trash

Press RETURN. Enter your admin password when prompted. It will not echo to the screen. Press RETURN again.

(Should anyone tell you this is dangerous or unnecessary, please ignore the comment.)

Aug 22, 2015 4:45 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks for the reply. No, it is not in Safari's download history, or in downloads ... I think this has been there a while.

I also tried deleting it from Safe Mode ... same warning message.

It is not in the trash, so no problems emptying the trash.

But, Trash It! seemed to do the trick. I installed that, and was able to drag the errant application out and it is now gone. Thanks for the tip!

Need help to Delete OS X from Application Menu

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.