Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have an old iPod mini with the error message www.apple.com/support/ipod. How do i fix this? do apple longer support the really old models?

i have an old iPod mini with the error message www.apple.com/support/ipod. How do i fix this? do apple longer support the really old models?

gg

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 9:38 PM

3 replies

Sep 12, 2015 1:52 PM in response to gail from maine

I have exactly the same situation and response (URL) as rhysj_davies.

On the mini's screen is just an unhappy face icon with an exclamation mark in a triangle, then www.apple.com/support/ipod. No help there.

My old, original mini is still very useful as my main music source in a speaker dock that will not support charging my new iPhone. (It still charged my iPhone 4.) I am wondering if Apple no longer bothers with these older models. They should. Any suggestions?

Sep 30, 2015 12:42 PM in response to rhysj_davies

I have an iPod mini project I am currently working on. Usually, a Sad face error message either means that the motherboard is fried, often due to water damage. I strongly recommend replacing the battery as they had a tendency to fail after a few years, and then if the issue still isn't fixed, consider buying a donor iPod. It is virtually impossible to find a factory spare motherboard, as they have pretty much run out, or cost more than a replacement iPod. If you can find one with a damaged screen or a scruffy shell, then you could get it fairly cheaply. I picked one up just today for my project for £10, which i'm going to take the motherboard and top clips from. I can post pictures up if it would help.

~Dishwasher97

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.