Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to test "block all incoming connections"

I've created a script to allow me to quickly enable the the firewall option to "block all incoming connections". Can anyone suggest some ways that I can test that this is working correctly? External resources or internal tool that I can use to confirm that the setting is working properly? I do have access to other machines on the same network.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), (OS X) Latest Beta

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 4:31 AM

You could type "ssh <machinename>.local" into Terminal on one of the other macs. (Where <machinename> is the actual name of the target.)

3 replies

Aug 23, 2015 5:55 AM in response to mingsai

If you are asking how to do this with the El Capitan beta, then the terms of use on this site exclude discussion and assistance for beta products.

You can perform a port scan from another Mac on the same network segment by using the Network Utility, and the port scan tab from that application. Enter the IP address of your target machine, and let fly. On OS X Mavericks and Yosemite, this application is located in System/Library/CoreServices/Applications. On Mountain Lion, the Network Utility is located in Applications/Utilities.

Aug 24, 2015 10:01 AM in response to mingsai

To those wishing to get a complete valid test of the Apple OS X Firewall. You may want to follow this process:

• Enable the "Block all network connections" on the firewall
  • Disconnect all WIFI or Ethernet cables on the Mac
  • Plug in your iPhone attached to your Mac (USB or Bluetooth tethering)
  • Visit (www.grc.com/shieldsup) and click Proceed
  • Click All Service Ports Test (The results should be all Green)

The reason this works is that the test is going against the Firewall on your machine. The iPhone does not have a Firewall installed so the process hits the Macs firewall directly. If you use an Ethernet or WIFI connection, there may be a firewall in place on your router. In which case the test would be running against the router's firewall not the one on your Mac.

Other alternatives:

You could try plugging the Mac directly into the modem from your cable provider. Be aware that some of these may have a firewall installed.

How to test "block all incoming connections"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.