Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find the right SSD to upgrade my MacPro?

I just bought a new 512gb SSD to replace the 256gb one that came with my MacPro. I bought it online at this link:

http://amzn.com/B00JOSM3TK

As you can see, the product description and the customer reviews explicitly say that this thing works in the 2013 MacPro cylinder. I know because I studied every inch of the product page before ordering it! So I just tried to put it into my MacPro, and it didn't fit. As you can see from these pictures, it clearly has a different interface than the original SSD that I pulled from my Mac. It's shorter, so the hex screw won't hold it in place, and the notch on the connector is in a different place.

User uploaded file

So now I'm going to have to return this thing and order a different one that will actually work, which will be a hassle. I'd really appreciate it if somebody could explain to me where I went wrong so this doesn't happen again! Thank you.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Late 2013, 3.5 GHz 6-Core

Posted on Aug 22, 2015 11:24 PM

10 replies

Aug 23, 2015 1:32 PM in response to Explodey

It does not say it is compatible.

At that price and capacity

Price: $1,199.99 + $3.99 shipping

Only 1 left in stock.

Ships from and sold by 3CLeader.

Estimated Delivery Date: Sept. 17 - Oct. 5 when you choose Standard at checkout.

• Brand New.
  • SSD Solid State Drive 512GB 655-1805D for MacBook Pro 15" Retina A1398 Late 2013.
  • Product Name :512GB SSD Solid State Hard Drive 655-1805D.
  • Compatible Model No :ME293LL/A ME294LL/A .
  • Compatible Model: MacBook Pro 15" A1398 Late 2013 Retina.

I would not purchase it.

I would rather get one of these

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?sort=pop&model=484&type=InternalDri ves

Even if they are a little slower than the Apple SSDs

How can I find the right SSD to upgrade my MacPro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.