Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my EPUB books appearing under Audiobooks?

I have all my EPUB, and a few PDF, books in iBooks (v.1.2). In iTunes (v.12.2.2.25) in my iPad settings I have "Sync All books" set. But I've noticed that many of my books are not syncing to my iPad. And if I look under Books in the iPad settings window in iTunes, where I have selected "Sync All books", the books that are not syncing don't appear in the selection window. Instead, they all appear under "Audiobooks"!

So I have this weird situation where all my books are in iBooks, as well as in iTunes under Audiobooks. If I select one of them in iTunes and select Show in Finder, it shows the file in the iBooks database — so it's not as though there are two file copies on my Mac. If I "Get Info" on one of the books under Audiobooks, under Options it shows Media Kind as Book — and as soon as I open the Get Info window the book moves from Audiobooks to Books. But then when I go to iBooks and select Move Books from iTunes, it moves back to Audiobooks in iTunes! One more thing: if I select several titles together in iTunes and Get Info, this time under Options it shows the Media Kind as Audiobook — these are the same titles that if I select singly show the media kind as Book!

This is serious weirdness. How am I supposed to clear up my iTunes and iBook databases?

MacBook Pro (17-inch Mid 2010), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 2:33 AM

11 replies

Sep 19, 2015 5:39 AM in response to Kevan Pegley

Here is a temporary solution:

In iTunes, select each ebook that's misclassified as an audiobook and do a command-I to Get Info. iTunes will recognize that the file is an ebook and it will disappear from iTunes. Once all of your ebooks are removed from the audiobook list, you can sync to your iPad and the books will appear properly.

However, there are two bad things about this solution:

1. You have to do this Get Info one book at a time; it doesn't work if you select more than one at once.

2. Much worse, if you quit and restart iTunes after doing this, all those ebooks will be back under audiobooks again. So be sure to turn off automatic syncing once everything's where you want it on your iPad.

I was hoping that 12.3 would fix this problem, but no dice...

Sep 19, 2015 6:29 PM in response to Kathleen Fitzpatrick

A quicker way to do many books is to change to list view and after you highlight the first book and type I (Get Info), Type N (Next) continuously. That will do them all, albeit one at a time.

But isn't this all stupid! C'mob Apple fix the **** bug!

Now for another: I have 1034 books. Before the recent series of OS X and iTunes updates all books would sync to my iPad. Now, no matter what I do, only a reduced number will sync. I can no longer sync all the books - despite plenty of free space on the iPad. Anyone run into that?

Sep 19, 2015 7:35 PM in response to argargano

I also have been having this problem: I had 490 books in iBooks, but only 472 would sync with iTunes. I noticed that when I changed a few covers of different books (they didn't have cover art, etc) those books then weren't able to sync. My attempt to fix the problem: I backed up the ibooks, deleted them off my Macbook, then tried putting just one back in ibooks. That book will not show up in sync.

After reading this thread, I see that it does show up as an audiobook. I am a little concerned that anytime I want to add a new book (or sync anything for that matter) I am going to have to go through the whole temporary "get info" fix. Time for Apple to fix this!

Oct 30, 2015 12:35 AM in response to Kevan Pegley

Having the exact same issue. I ended up dropping the files onto iCloud Drive or Dropbox and then using the app on iOS to load/import them.

I've been very disappointed ever since books were taken out of iTunes. Keeping everthing together would not only have made management of my book library easier but likely also brought double-click to read functionality to Windows users as well.

Why are my EPUB books appearing under Audiobooks?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.