Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Random changes in overall display color "temperature"?

It's been two days now, never happened before. The overall color "temperature" of my display, hence whatever I'm seeing (desktop, application, etc.) slightly changes, from a warmer tone (the normal one I've always seen) to a "cooler" more blueish tone (that I'd never seen before). I've observed this doesn't happen spontaneously, at least not until now, but it happens when I open or close applications (whichever), or in Safari when I navigate and go back or forward between pages, or open a new page or a new tab, or in the same page/tab when I open a new website, and so on... It's random, it doesn't always happen, but it does happen, a few times a day, maybe more. It can happen 5-6 times per hour, I've noticed. I'm starting to get worried...what could this be? The MBP I'm on is listed at the end of the post.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Late 2011, 17''

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 7:45 AM

6 replies

Aug 29, 2015 5:19 AM in response to applewarm

I have the exact same problem. I'm pretty sure it's a software issue, as the problem began when I upgraded to 10.10.5. I upgraded my 2015 iMac at work and I'm not having this problem there. Perhaps the bug is only affecting laptops? Hopefully they'll be able to fix this bug in the next update.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Mid 2012, 15"

Aug 29, 2015 10:43 AM in response to jonacs2

No it's not software related, that's why you're not seeing it on your other Mac.

I went to an  store for other reasons, and while there I asked quickly at the Genius Bar.

I mentioned my problem in detail, and apparently it can only be the graphics card...

They suggested I either do nothing just wait and see, and it'll probably die at some point.

Or I book an appointment now and leave it to them, they'll test it and if necessary change the card.

No other cause was brought up for this kind of issue, and I trust them.

So I suppose if you have the same exact problem as me, you have the same possible solution.

Aug 31, 2015 7:11 PM in response to applewarm

I still don't think it's hardware related. I think it may be a bug only affecting certain graphics cards when used with specific software. The problem began right after updating to 10.10.5. It seems too great of a coincidence that my graphics card would start going bad at the exact same time I upgraded my OS.

While trying things out tonight I found that anytime I opened Moneydance, which uses Java, my screen shifted to a color temperature, and when I closed it, the color shifted back to normal. I was able to replicate these results over and over. I'm not yet sure if this a Java issue in general, or just Moneydance. Either way, I suspect this is a rare enough occurrence that your average Genius hasn't seen it in the wild yet. I'll keep testing to see if I find anything else...

Random changes in overall display color "temperature"?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.