Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any updated instructions for Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n) using Airport Utility V6

I'm trying to setup and configure 3 Airport Extremes and 1 Express of various generations . On the Apple support pages I find Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n) - Apple Support which appears to be written in the last few months but refers to a previous version of Airport Utility. Looking for instructions on a roaming network using Airport Utility V6.

Airport Extreme 802.11ac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Aug 23, 2015 6:55 AM

8 replies

Aug 23, 2015 8:08 AM in response to avlajk

Unfortunately, Apple has not updated their instructions for configuring a roaming network in well over 3 years.

But, the good news might be that the newer version of AirPort Utility 6.x makes things so easy that detailed instructions are not needed at all.

Assuming that you have your "main" AirPort router already set up and working correctly, all that you need to do to add more AirPorts in a roaming set up is........

Reset the AirPort that you want to configure back to factory default settings

Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on the "main" AirPort router to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort device that you want to add

Open up the setup "wizard" on your Mac or iOS device, and it will literally walk you through the simple correct setup

Apple calls this "extend using Ethernet", but it is the same thing as "roaming". Post back if you need more help on the setup.

Aug 23, 2015 9:21 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Hey Bob, Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, not quite as simple of a pic as I painted. If you want to back away from responding after these new details, I wouldn't blame you.

I know this configuration works because I've had it working. I have a 5th Gen Extreme that receives the incoming Comcast network connection. I do not have ethernet wired throughout my home so have tried to take advantage of the plentiful coax. I've used a 2 coax-ethernet adapter (DirectTV Connected Home adapter DECA1MR0-01). These are on the incoming WAN port of a 4th Gen and 3rd Gen Airport Extreme in other places in my house. And to complicate matters, I've had an older Airport Express connected wirelessly off of one of those external AE's connected to a printer. This configuration has worked and was set up ~2.5 yrs ago and stopped this weekend when I made some network changes. I've reset all 4 devices to factory and tried to set back up and I suspect that there has been some change in Aiport Utility OR Yosemite that doesn't allow this.

Aug 23, 2015 10:12 AM in response to avlajk

This configuration has worked and was set up ~2.5 yrs ago and stopped this weekend when I made some network changes.

What changes did you make?

I've reset all 4 devices to factory and tried to set back up and I suspect that there has been some change in Aiport Utility OR Yosemite that doesn't allow this.

If this means that you reset your "main" AirPort Extreme back to factory default settings, then then that is the device that must first be set up correctly. Then, other AirPorts can be added one at a time. You have to go slow in situations like this, setting up only one device at a time, and making sure that everything is working before you set up the next device.

If this sounds like it makes sense to you, then post back and we can set things up that way.....one at a time.

As far as the "old" AirPort Express is concerned, that should not be an issue unless you mean that you have an older model A1084 or A1088 version of the Express, which the newer version of AirPort Utility 6.x does not support.

Aug 23, 2015 8:16 PM in response to Bob Timmons

What changes did you make?

I was attempting to put some parental controls in place to shut the network down each evening for some devices. I didn't change anything physically.

I have been successful at setting 5th Gen and using the Coax method that I mention above to connect to 4th Gen. I am not able to add the 3rd Gen nor the Airport Express at this time.

If you are not familiar with the Coax connection, I'm surprised that I got it to work in the past for the fact that out of 5th Gen comes one ether net port that feeds into a box that distributes the signal to the Coax open network and theoretically any room in the house with Coax can take advantage of the ethernet feed. The reason that I'm surprised is that it was providing two separate IP addresses on the one line to 4th Gen and 3rd Gen.

I'm not sure of the model of the Airport Express but I will check. Again, I was able to get it to work...and perhaps that was under Air Utility V5.

Aug 23, 2015 8:33 PM in response to avlajk

I was attempting to put some parental controls in place to shut the network down each evening for some devices. I didn't change anything physically.

Timed Access does not "shut down" the network.....it simply prevents a wireless device from being able to connect to the network during the timeframe that you specify. Probably best to discuss this subject once you have the network back up and running.

I have been successful at setting 5th Gen and using the Coax method that I mention above to connect to 4th Gen. I am not able to add the 3rd Gen nor the Airport Express at this time. I am not able to add the 3rd Gen nor the Airport Express at this time.

So, you want the 3rd Gen to connect using Ethernet over co-ax, correct?

Will the Express also connect using Ethernet over co-ax, or will the Express connect using wireless only......as you mentioned that it was set up before this way? If it will connect wirelessly, which device will it associate with?

Aug 24, 2015 6:34 AM in response to avlajk

There are several things that you can do to try to resolve the "unexpected error" message.......which is an ongoing bug in both Mavericks and Yosemite.

Power off VE Extreme (2) for a minute or two, then power it back up

Restart the Mac that you are using for the setup

Perform a hard reset on the AirPort Extreme that you are trying to set up by powering it on for a minute, then hold in the reset button on the back of the device for 7-8 seconds and release. Allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status.

Use a short, spare Ethernet cable.....any length will do to temporarily connect from one of the LAN <--> Ethernet ports on AExtreme (2) to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme that you are trying to set up

To get the setup "wizard" running, rather than open AirPort Utility manually, click on the WiFi icon at the top of the screen, then click on AirPort Extreme under the heading of New AirPort Base Station....like the example below:

User uploaded file

If the AirPort Extreme is configured to "extend using Ethernet" correctly, then once the setup is done, you can disconnect the AirPort Extreme from the short Ethernet cable and install it back on the network using the Ethernet over co-ax devices.

If you still continue to see the "unexpected error" message, then we'll have to try changing some settings on the Mac to try to work around the bug that is producing the error.

Aug 28, 2015 2:24 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob, Thanks for your persistence and great help here. I think the one thing that I did not do was re-start my mac each time I changed the configuration of my devices. For some reason data seems to persist in Airport Utility otherwise. The other suggestion that I took from you is that I actually gathered all my devices, connected them physically with ethernet and then put them back into place one at a time. Here is the final masterpiece:

User uploaded file

Any updated instructions for Wi-Fi base stations: Setting up and configuring a roaming network (802.11 a/b/g/n) using Airport Utility V6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.